Lights, Camera, Film Club!

The Auburn Film Club has gone through structural changes to further form an enjoyable environment for film fanatics.

Members of the film club get together on a weekly basis to watch a movie, usually in Tichenor Hall. The members typically go to Little Italy afterward to discuss the film, talk about movies in general and get to know one another.

The Film Club watches movies in two-week intervals. The second film of the interval is related to the first film in some way.

For example, during the previous semester, the club got together to watch the Swedish production of the film “Let the Right One In.” The following week, the group watched the American version of the film.

According to Parker Aultman, vice president of the Auburn Film Club, these two movies had drastically different styles even though they shared the same storyline.

Aultman says this approach of watching movies in two week intervals gives the members the opportunity to get a closer look at comparing and contrasting the movies because they get to understand the director’s approach better.

The first two film selections for the upcoming semester are “The Room” and “The Disaster Artist,” which is based on “The Room.”

“The purpose of the Film Club is to share movies and explore their themes," said Gannon Padgett, the president of Film Club. "We try to choose films that are both entertaining and thought provoking.” 

The genres of the selected films can be diverse in nature. The genres include foreign language films, blockbusters, artsy films, romantic comedies and documentaries.

The club is not particularly large with roughly five to 15 members able to make it to each film screening and get-together at Little Italy.

“We all know each other decently well,” Aultman said. "So, it’s just kind of like a group of friends who get together hanging out, watching movies and eating pizza basically."

Padgett took over as president of the organization three semesters ago. Before Padgett, the club met once weekly to discuss movies for an hour or so in a classroom.

“I wanted to change the Film Club to make it more inclusive and bring in different types of people,” Padgett said. "The screenings and pizza offer a more relaxed environment, I think."

Along with structural changes, the group changed its name as well.

“The club used to be called The Auburn Film Society, but I really disliked that name because it sounds exclusive and pretentious,” Padgett said. "The Auburn Film Club is open for everyone to come watch a movie that they may not have heard of before."

Aultman learned about the Film Club during the second semester of his freshman year and immediately joined as he has always been passionate about filmmaking. He said he thinks anyone who enjoys filmmaking as much as he does should join as well.

“I guess my thinking is that if you have an interest in film, regardless of how knowledgeable you are about it, you’ll definitely have a chance to see some things that you haven’t seen before, be exposed to some foreign films, some lower budget Indie films," Aultman said. "Also, you’ll kind of learn more about film, you’ll see how other people interpret the movie.”

Share and discuss “Lights, Camera, Film Club!” on social media.