COLUMN: Let Sweethearts do the talking this year

The staggering commercialization surrounding holiday culture often manifests itself in a form that is great for the sweet tooth and terrible for the dental bills: candy. Christmas is marked by candy canes. For Easter, it’s Peeps. Halloween brings candy corn and Valentine’s Day features Sweethearts.

With a catchy compliment and a satisfying crunch, the conversation heart has charmed its way into the decorated shoeboxes of elementary-age children everywhere. However, Sweethearts can serve in a place beyond the playground; the arena in which they were destined to flourish is the dating world.

Many people working toward, or even currently in, relationships find themselves scared of saying the wrong thing to their significant other. Luckily, during the season of romance, Sweethearts can do all the talking.

Boasting messages like “YOU ROCK” and “WICKED COOL” conversation candy hearts alleviate the stress of trying to find the right words. Unlike lofty, stilted declarations of affection, Sweethearts’ messages are simply stated and easily digested.

A few messages like “BE MINE” and “LOVE ME,” may come across as forceful or too direct, but these can be gone in a bite leaving more relaxed memos like “U R HOT” and “CRAZY 4 YOU” behind them. Sometimes, though, the more direct messages are what is desired; the wide spectrum of sayings gives consumers choice in their sentiments while making sure those feelings are articulated eloquently.

The obvious choice for your Valentine’s conversation is to substitute hearts for verbal communication; nothing bad can come of it. To quote a heart, happy Valentine’s Day, “SWEET STUFF.”

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Let Sweethearts do the talking this year” on social media.