'Just do it': Malcolm X's daughter implores students to work together to make change

Ilyasha Shabazz, daughter of Malcolm X and motivational speaker, came to Auburn to make one thing known — black history is American history. 

While telling her father's story, her mother's impact on Shabazz's life and the time period in which they lived and fought for basic rights, Shabazz encouraged students to come together to create change. 

"Sometimes we complain that we no longer have effective leaders, but ladies and gentlemen, we are those leaders that you seek," Shabazz said. "You are the leaders. You have to look in the mirror and ask yourself, 'Are you being effective?'"

Quoting Nike, Shabazz repeatedly addressed audience members and said, "Just do it." She looked to students asking questions about how to confront systemic racism and said their reasons for not acting or shying away were excuses. 

"Just do it," she said. 

Shabazz said students must have a measurable goal — a well thought out plan for achieving success. She stressed that change takes time, knowledge, education and passion. 

"I think it is also important to understand that just because one has tweeted a social hashtag, it does not make you an activist or a social change agent," Shabazz said to a crowd that returned her statement with snaps and cheers. 

Shabazz said students can look back to the Civil Rights Movement to see how hoards of people came together, combining their voices and creating conversation. She said her father worked toward checkpoints and counseled against false moves and the folly of running in place. 

In his '20s, Malcolm X threw his voice into the mix and shortly became a driving force for social change, calling for the rights of all men to be honored. Shabazz said he was driven by his faith and pushed by his care for mankind. 

She said having been raised by two educated, passionate leaders, she learned the importance of education, history, humanity, leadership and that she must remember she is her brother's keeper. 

While she was writing her first book, "Growing Up X," Shabazz was able to reflect on her parent's lives and their willingness to stand for those around them. 

"My books, to me, are extremely important," Shabazz said. "It's important that the reader is empowered, and they see themselves in the pages, and they learn something, and there is nothing downtrodden in these books." 

Shabazz said she believes that children should be given the skills and tools they need to fight the obstacles that lie in their way. Students should know they are worthy of self-love and a quality education. 

Shabazz said the only way to make a change and continue what was started by Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., whom Shabazz said supported each other in each other's endeavors, is to look to history for guidance — much of the rich history having taken place in Alabama. 

"Is it noble to turn a blind eye and pretend that injustice does not exist in our communities or noble to use our individual power and leadership to stand for the various movements like Black Lives Matter and #MeToo?" Shabazz asked. "These are organizations started by young people." 

Shabazz said she takes her work as a professor, leading and mentoring students, seriously because intellect and morality are key. 

She said with truth and a cohesive value system, both of which her parents impressed upon her, she prays that the knowledge of historical happenings will lead to being a better informed and open-minded public. 

Intellect and education instill strength, warrants respect for others and give people the ability to see right from wrong, she said. Shabazz believes in planning and strategy. 

"As the future leaders of this new world, sitting back and waiting for someone else to do for us is no longer an option," Shabazz said. "With all of our talents, skills and access we must rely on ourselves to get the job done. Right here on your campus, you can come together in small groups, clubs and organizations."

Share and discuss “'Just do it': Malcolm X's daughter implores students to work together to make change” on social media.