Five candidates for offensive, defensive MVP at Auburn's A-Day

After an up and down 2017 season which ended with a 34-27 loss to UCF in the Peach Bowl, Auburn fans are excited to see last year's SEC West champions take the next step.

A-Day, Auburn's annual spring football game, offers a unique look into the development of returning players as well as a first look at that year's crop of freshman.

Gus Malzahn’s team is considered one of the deepest in the nation for 2018, however, there lies positions that will needed filling and require development of depth in order to compete in the rigor of the Southeastern Conference.

Injuries have left voids across the board, and multiple Tigers are now able to earn their stripes in situations that weren’t expected at the conclusion of Auburn’s 10-4 campaign in 2017.

While A-Day is still only a spring scrimmage game, every year there seems to be a few players that exceed expectations or thoroughly impress both fans and coaches. Here is a look at a few players you should keep your eye on as A-Day rolls around.

JaTarvious "Boobee" Whitlow

After the departure of both Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, the Tigers certainly have a hole to fill at running back. While Kam Martin is expected to be named Auburn's starter after a solid 453-yard (6.1 yards per carry) and two touchdown sophomore campaign, it is redshirt freshman JaTarvious "Boobee" Whitlow who has drawn much of the attention in early spring practices.

The 6-foot, 216 pound LaFayette, Alabama native is one of six Auburn players vying for the starting role this season, and after moving from receiver to running back and redshirting in his freshman year, Whitlow may very well be the back to watch.

"I think he just did a great job of not going down," guard Mike Horton said. "He's not going to go down, he's going to make you tackle him"

Whitlow has impressed coaches and fellow teammates with his "Madden"-like abilities and, with the starting running back spot as open as it is, look for Whitlow to impress on A-Day and earn a large role for the upcoming season.

Anders Carlson

Kicking must run in the family. 

The second redshirt freshman on this list, Carlson is the younger brother of the SEC's all-time leading scorer Daniel Carlson, who had been blasting 50-plus yarders for the Tigers for the past four years.

But now, it's time for a new Carlson to step up to the plate. Just as tall as his older brother, the 6-foot-5 Colorado Springs native was the top ranked kicker in the class of 2017 according to multiple recruiting sites.

After spending the past year on the sidelines watching his brother, Anders seems ready to become Auburn's next great kicker. In the Tigers' spring practice on March 31, Carlson cemented beliefs that he is ready to fill his brothers shoes with a 62-yard field goal that "would've probably been good from 70 yards," according to head coach Gus Malzahn.

While the elder Carlson brother certainly made a name for himself with accurate and powerful kicking during his four years as Auburn's starter, fans should be relieved to know that it looks like the Tigers' kicking duties are in good hands for the next few years.

T.D. Moultry

The expected replacement for Jeff Holland at the "Buck" position, Moultry, only a sophomore, has impressed early in spring practices.

After not getting a whole lot of playing time as a true freshman, the coaching staff is expecting a lot out of the Birmingham native. Moultry, much like Holland last year, possesses elite speed and quickness and a knack for getting to the quarterback.

Auburn will need production from Moultry if they want to replace Holland's 2017 All-SEC production, and look for Moultry to prove that on A-Day.

"He's a freak of nature, some of the things he does," linebacker Deshaun Davis said. "He's going to bring another edge to our defense because of his abilities. He's a fast guy." 

K.J. Britt

Despite playing in every game last season as a true freshman, Britt only managed to collect four total tackles on the season. Regardless, many believe Britt to step in as a key contributor for the Auburn defense in 2018-19, and A-Day is a perfect opportunity for him to shine.

Predicted to be second on the depth chart behind the established senior, Deshaun Davis at the middle linebacker spot, Britt has been described as an aggressive run-stopping linebacker. 

While he will likely have to sit behind a senior trio of Deshaun Davis, Darrell Williams and Montavious Atkinson at linebacker, look for the sophomore to shine on A-Day and flash potential to be one of Auburn's top defensive stoppers in seasons to come.

Calvin Ashley

I know what you're thinking, an offensive lineman for A-Day MVP? Get real. While right tackle is definitely one of the least glamorous positions in football, its importance cannot go unnoticed.

An Under Armour All-American in high school and the prize of Auburn's 2017 recruiting class, the 6-foot-6, 350 pound Orlando, Florida native just turned 20 and, after redshirting his freshman year, is ready to impress.

While it may seem implausible to see a right tackle garner MVP honors, unmatched potential coupled with recent praise from offensive line coach, JB Grimes could lead to a dominant A-Day and furthermore, dominant 2018 for Ashley.

Share and discuss “Five candidates for offensive, defensive MVP at Auburn's A-Day” on social media.