Saying Goodbye is Hard

My roommate of three years is becoming a grown up. By that I mean she's taken a job offer five and a half hours away from Auburn and nine hours from her parents house. She'll be in a city where she knows no one, and will be living all by herself. Well she'll have her dog Mandy, but technically she'll be living alone.

Although I'm extremely proud of her and confident she will do amazingly well in her new environment, I'm going to miss her terribly.

We met while moving into our apartment at the C.D.V. Extention. We were potluck roomies and an exception to the normal potluck rule of roommate hell. We lived on campus for two years and finally moved off this year.

Though the Bat Cave isn't the best house in the world it was ours.

We've taken seven road trips, been on three spring breaks and attended three major concerts together. Basically we've had a lot of fun.

She's started packing her half of the house up this week and I'm sure she's getting tired of me reminiscing about different events or bringing up different one-liners we've laughed about over the years.

But I can't help it, I'm going to miss her this fall when football season starts. She's "da grill mastah" and I've seen her wear the same Auburn T-shirt to every game.

I'm going to miss her when I want to get "Chick Salad Shack" (sic) and eat on Samford Lawn, and when Moe's isn't a Sunday tradition.

The things you experience and learn by living with your best friend are irreplaceable and I would not change any argument, random road trip or party we've had.

I know I'll talk to her everyday when she moves, but knowing I can't just run into her room and say "Friend, you want some Moe's?" is sadder than Moe's should ever be.

She's taught me more about being a friend, how to deal with tough situations and how to have fun than she'll ever know.

Share and discuss “Saying Goodbye is Hard” on social media.