Nonprofit seeks to inspire creativity

Doc Waller, 29, poses in front of art at the Layman Group loft. (Maria Iampietro / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

The Layman Group, an Auburn-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of the arts, is seeking to foster a new artistic energy on the Plains.

The group held a "Freshmore" arts mixer at its loft above Behind the Glass on Magnolia Avenue Friday night.

"Art shouldn't be something that's up on an ivory tower," said Doc Waller, executive artistic director and founder of the Layman Group. "It should be bouncing off of everyone like a pinball. That's what we want."

The Freshmore event drew a modest crowd of students looking to find like-minded individuals who share their interest in the arts.

The night was intended for freshmen and sophomores with an interest in the arts to network and interact in a classy alternative to regular Friday night partying.

"When I came down here, I didn't know if there was anything going on with the arts," said Chandler Jones, an undeclared liberal arts freshman who attended the event. "I was excited when I found the Layman Group online."

Seeking a new culture of partying fit well into the goals of the Layman Group, which is trying to instill a big-city arts culture in this small Alabama town.

"I had taken trips up to the bigger cities," Waller said, "and I told myself I wanted to start a group that allowed the artist to take a shot and not have to leave for places like New York and Chicago."

The group feels optimistic that they can stimulate creativity in a place like Auburn, which may not generally be known for its artistic side.

They stress that the Layman Group is just as much here for the city of Auburn as it is for the University and its students.

"It's easy for the students to have access to the arts," said Shelli Brown, senior in psychology, "but the average person in the community doesn't have that access."

Brown is an ambassador between the Layman Group and the University and handles the important task of fundraising for the nonprofit.

"I don't know if it's the culture here, but for some reason we think we can only do three things well: football, engineering and agriculture," Brown said.

The loft above Behind the Glass, where the Layman Group's studio is located, is a constant work in progress.

There are stations which will eventually have interactive components for visitors to learn about all aspects of the arts, from poetry to literature to theater.

Visitors to Friday's event could dig through magazine cutouts and add to a growing collage of images on one of the walls.

"I like that the art is less formal," Jones said. "Here, you get to put your own stuff on the wall."

The Layman Group has several upcoming events. On Sept. 10, "Reveal" will feature the artwork of Kristi Dallen, the Layman Group's artist liaison and resource specialist.

One of her murals is already on display at the loft.

The group has a play and a TV series in the works, as well as a dance troupe.

Shelley Kensler, sophomore in radio, television and film is taking a semester off to work with the group.

"It's a great way to bring people together and inspire change," Kensler said.

Share and discuss “Nonprofit seeks to inspire creativity” on social media.