The Circle brings artistic perspective to campus

Cove Headley, front, copy editor for the AU Circle, and Zack Fritz, editor-in-chief, prepare the magazine's latest issue. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn Circle uses its budget to produce its biennial literary and art magazine.

"Every part of our budget is either directly or indirectly aimed towards the production of this publication," said Zachary Fritz, editor-in-chief of the Circle and senior in economics.

The Circle received $27,359 for the 2011-12 school year from Student Government Association, the same amount it received last year.

Codyrose Bowden, member of the design team and sophomore in art, said the Circle is able to provide her with what she needs to get the job done.

"I know that I needed a program called InDesign to work on the pages, and the Circle provided me with the program," Bowden said. "I already had Photoshop, but if I had not, I believe it would have covered that as well."

Programs, supplies and advertising comprise a minority of the Circle's annual budget.

"The vast majority of our budget covers the cost of printing the publication," Fritz said.

Since the Circle is funded by SGA, there is no additional cost to students.

Salaries are also a key item in the budget, but only for certain staff members.

"The editor and the managing editor receive a stipend, and the remainder of the staff works as volunteers," Fritz said.

The Circle provides an opportunity for student artists to get their work published, Bowden said.

"I am an art major and I know how hard it is to show your artwork or writing if you are an English major, and the Circle is a way to share what you have accomplished," Bowden said.

The Circle received more than 120 submissions this semester alone, with pieces ranging from architecture and interior design to creative writing, nonfiction and photography.

"Art is always an important part of any college campus, and I think the Circle magazine is a great way to connect the liberal arts majors to each other and to the rest of the students," Bowden said.

The Circle accepts submissions from anyone and encourages students not in arts majors to submit.

The staff hopes to make some slight changes to the publication's purpose, including making it more of a general interest and arts magazine in the near future.

Share and discuss “The Circle brings artistic perspective to campus” on social media.