OPINION: 'Makeup Genius' is an understatement

(Cat Watson | Online Editor)
(Cat Watson | Online Editor)

Makeup Genius by L'Oreal Paris is the ideal try-on app for anyone who misses playing dress-up.
Not only does the app provide users with a new, advanced way to try on cosmetics, but it's also delightfully entertaining to play with in your spare time.
Here's how it works. Download Makeup Genius in the iTunes app store - it's free. When you open the app, you'll be prompted to scan your face in a relaxed pose. Make sure you look natural. Avoid making weird duck faces or "this-is-my-go-to-photo-face" poses because Makeup Genius works in real time.
After the initial scan, you're given two options: try on a product or ready-to-wear looks. Click the first option and then "browse our products" to witness the magic I find so amusing.
Under products, you can choose actual products to try on, including eyeliner, eyeshadow, lipstick, gloss, lip liner and blush. Make sure you have decent lighting.
Add a few products and observe how your face is able to move around - to some extent - with the selected makeup intact.
I've played with this for hours. I'll even take a screenshot or selfie when I like a particular look or when I feel so ridiculous that someone else should see it.
Another fun trick to do once you've added dramatic makeup combinations. Move your phone in front of an unsuspecting friend. If you're in the same lighting and you line their face up the same way you originally scanned your face, the makeup will adapt and appear on your friend. It's sort of like a magic mirror.
I tried this trick with my boyfriend. He looked hilarious in cat-eye eyeliner and glossy red lips.
Reviews for Makeup Genius mentioned how the lighting affects how the colors appear.
For instance, in-store and white lighting will display differently than warmer, dimmer settings.
I've used Makeup Genius on an iPad and iPhone 5s. Using the iPad was especially great because the larger screen allows you to get a more realistically sized view instead of the smaller version on phones.
Overall, Makeup Genius is absolutely worth a try. It's free, fun and definitely a breakthrough for the cosmetics industry. The technology behind this try-on app can only mean great things for the future of fashion.
Cat Watson is the online editor for The Plainsman. She can be reached via email at online@theplainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: 'Makeup Genius' is an understatement” on social media.