Men's tennis falls to No. 11 Wake Forest in ITA kickoff

A hopeful No. 59 Auburn men's tennis team traveled to the Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, hoping to notch another mark under the win column for the 2016 season. The Tigers were unable to snag a victory from No. 11 Wake Forest, falling 4-1 in opening round action at the 2016 ITA Kickoff on Sunday.

Auburn took the doubles point when the Tigers' No.1 duo of Marko Krickovic and Edward Nguyen forced a tiebreaker and captured the win against the Demon Deacons' Skander Mansouri and Christian Seraphim 7-6. Max Hinnisdaels and Olle Thestrup also aided in the process, becoming the 6-3 winners in the No. 3 spot.

"We played well in doubles today, and Marko and Eddie closed it out for us in the tiebreaker, which gave us a good start," said Auburn head coach Eric Shore.

Wake Forest clinched the match in singles, locking up wins on court five, three, four and six. Hinnisdaels and Krickovic held strong though, both leading in their second sets when the team match concluded after the Deacons clinched.

"Max and Marko were in control of their singles matches when Wake Forest clinched, and Olle at six put us in position to win if he could have taken the second-set tiebreaker," Shore said. "We had a lot of positives moving forward, and we're looking forward to going back to work tomorrow."

Now 2-1 on the season, the Tigers will face No. 54 Cal Poly on Monday at 10 a.m. CST at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.

Share and discuss “Men's tennis falls to No. 11 Wake Forest in ITA kickoff” on social media.