Cooking with Anne: fancy fried rice

One of my favorite things to make after a long, hard day is classic fried rice.

The best part about fried rice is that you can do just about anything with it that you want. You can add any veggie, you can take anything out— you can honestly do whatever you want to it and it'll still taste great.

I'm about to give you a 2-for-1 deal right here and share with you my favorite fried rice recipe, as well as my favorite cauliflower fried rice recipe. Both taste amazing, and both can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.

The cauliflower rice is fun because there are several ways you can do it. If you're lazy like me, you can buy pre-made cauliflower rice from your local Trader Joe's. But, if you want to make your own, you can totally do that too— you just need a food processor with a grater.

Both of these recipes feed two (or one hungry college student) so they work great for date nights and meal prepping.

Regular fried rice:

Ingredients:

2 packs, minute white or brown rice

1 large head broccoli

1 cup carrots 

3 eggs

1-2 tbsp olive oil

2-3 tbsp soy sauce 

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Directions:

Stick the packs of rice in a microwave-safe bowl with the appropriate amount of water (the box will tell you) for 5-6 minutes until cooked.

While the rice is cooking, heat the oil on high heat. After about 45 seconds add the carrots and broccoli and lower heat to medium. Cook until broccoli is dark and carrots are soft.

Push the vegetables to the side and scramble the eggs on the center. Mix vegetables and eggs together on the pan.

Turn heat to low, add the rice and mix all together.

Evenly pour soy sauce over the rice. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Stir evenly.

Cauliflower fried rice:

Ingredients: 

1 package cauliflower rice (sold at Trader Joe's) OR 1 large head cauliflower 

1 large head broccoli

1 cup carrots 

3 eggs

1-2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp sesame oil (optional)

2-3 tbsp soy sauce 

2 tsp salt

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Directions:

If you're using pre-packaged cauliflower rice, put in a microwave-safe bowl with the appropriate amount of water (the package will tell you) and cook according to directions.

If you're making your own cauliflower rice, take the head of cauliflower and cut the stem off. Chop into florets. One at a time, stick the florets into the food processor and grate until the whole head is processed into small pieces like rice. Cook on the stove for 5-6 minutes with sesame oil (or regular oil). Season with salt and garlic powder.

While the cauliflower rice is cooking, heat the oil on a separate pan on high heat. After about 45 seconds add the carrots and broccoli and lower heat to medium. Cook until broccoli is dark and carrots are soft.

Turn heat to low, add the cauliflower rice and mix all together.

Evenly pour soy sauce over the rice. Sprinkle more salt, more garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Stir evenly.

No matter how you cook this meal, I guarantee you'll love it. Try it my way and then try putting your own spin on it. 

Share and discuss “Cooking with Anne: fancy fried rice” on social media.