Auburn Relay for Life Raises $50,000 for the American Cancer Society

Bean bags flew across the Greenspace and into cornhole boards, luminaria encircled the yard games, live music rang throughout the clearing, and the Auburn Relay for Life fundraising total climbed to $57,129.31.

At 2:00 on Saturday, the Relay for Life committee and Relay participants gathered for the opening ceremony. The event was kicked off by a speaker, and the day’s activities began.

Tents circled the Greenspace marking different organizations or companies who formed Relay for Life teams through Auburn’s committee.

“It’s really cool to see all of these people come together,” said Katherine Johnson, co-chair of Auburn’s Relay for Life.

In addition to the lineup of 7 local musicians, activities throughout the day included yard games, water pong, a water balloon toss, jousting, a scooter race, face painting and more.

“We’re trying to keep people entertained, engaged.” said Kimberly Myers, community manager with the American Cancer Society.

As a community manager, Myers is responsible for working with the volunteers for 4 different Relay for Life Events, including Auburn’s. This is her second year with Auburn’s committee, and she said the current committee has been working toward this event since this time last year.

“They work hard,” Myers said.

At 8 p.m., the circles of luminaria, a type of paper lantern, were put to use for Relay’s trademark luminaria ceremony. Luminaria can be purchased by anyone in honor of someone who has lost his or her life to cancer or is currently struggling with it.

During the ceremony, participants walked silently around the illuminated paper bags, considering how or why Relay for Life impacted them.

“It’s a really special moment,” Johnson said.

Luminaria can be purchased throughout the year and were also sold at the event.

Relay for Life drew to a close soon after, leaving committee members already planning for next year.

Myers believes Relay for Life is a good way to connect with and be a part of a group with a common cause.

“Each committee member is a part of Relay for different reasons,” Myers said. “They have some sort of connection.”

Virginia Allison, Relay for Life’s other co-chair, agreed. She said cancer was very widespread, and she appreciated people uniting to fight it.

“It brings all these people together to fight for one cause,” Johnson said. “To celebrate, remember and fight back.”

Share and discuss “Auburn Relay for Life Raises $50,000 for the American Cancer Society” on social media.