Opelika thinks pink in October

(Rachel Suhs / GRAPHICS EDITOR)
(Rachel Suhs / GRAPHICS EDITOR)

A sea of pink will flood historic downtown Opelika when breast cancer survivors and supporters walk to raise awareness in the seventh-annual Think Pink Walk.

The one-mile walk will be Saturday at 9:30 a.m. with registration beginning at 8 a.m. Tickets cost $15 and include a Think Pink T-shirt.

"It's really awesome to see people, hopefully over 600 people, walking around the square with pink T-shirts on," said Colleen Alsobrook, co-director of the walk.

Throughout the day the downtown area will have breast cancer awareness activities, live entertainment and a reception for all participants.

All proceeds from the walk will benefit East Alabama Medical Center's Breast Health for Underserved Women Program.

The program provides mammograms, diagnostic testing and treatment for women in east Alabama who might be unable to get it otherwise.

"It's showing every year that more and more women are being diagnosed with breast cancer, so early detection is important," Alsobrook said.

The annual walk began when representatives from the EAMC, American Cancer Society and Opelika Main Street wanted to bring breast cancer awareness to a local level.

"If we don't get the word out and make sure people know to get yearly mammograms and do self-exams, then they could miss things that really could affect them later on," said Amanda Fowler, Auburn graduate and ACS employee who has participated in the walk. "One of my favorite times of the fall is attending this event ... The energy is just amazing."

Breast cancer survivors are a close-knit community in the Auburn and Opelika area, Fowler said.

"They're just a family," Fowler said. "They want to get the word out and make sure that everyone is aware of what they need to know and taking care of their own health."

According to the ACS, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer other than skin cancer. When found in its earliest stage, the chance for successful treatment of breast cancer is the greatest.

"Prevention and early detection is the key to saving lives," Fowler said.

Once the walk is over, stores and restaurants in the downtown area will offer specials all day long.

"For instance, a gift shop may offer 45 percent off anything pink, or a restaurant might have free pink lemonade for everyone who attended," said Pam Powers-Smith, director of Opelika Main Street.

Breast cancer survivors attending the event will be honored and given a special gift, Alsobrook said.

"I just think it's fun," Powers-Smith said. "Everyone is wearing pink, and it's fun to meet people you maybe didn't even know were survivors of breast cancer."

All contributions from the event will benefit women of east Alabama. Last year more than 150 women were served.

Those who want to participate in the walk can register at 8 a.m. on Railroad Avenue across from Cottage Cafe.

Share and discuss “Opelika thinks pink in October” on social media.