OPINION: Midseason Southeastern Conference award watch

Duke Williams (Charles Tatum | Photographer)

We are past the midway point in the regular season, and it has been an exciting eight weeks to say the least. For the first time, four of the top five teams in the AP Poll are from the SEC West, and the college football playoff race is heating up.
The SEC continues to prove to be the nation's best conference, so here are my updated projections for its top performers.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State
Prescott is the best player on the best team in the country. The Bulldogs' signal-caller has become the Heisman Trophy favorite in the wake of Todd Gurley's suspension, and his play on the ground and through the air has the entire nation buzzing. After knocking off unbeaten Auburn in Starkville, Mississippi, the Bulldogs now control their own destiny and lead the national playoff hunt.
Runner Up: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Senquez Golson, DB, Ole Miss
The kid is a ball hawk. Ole Miss has, arguably, the stingiest defense in the country, and Golson has benefited from the pressure the Rebels have been able to put on opposing quarterbacks. After intercepting two passes against LSU, his season total is now seven, which is good for first in the conference and second in the country. Strong play on defense has Hotty Toddy sitting at 7-0 and standing tied with the other Mississippi team at the top of the SEC West following their beat-down of Tennessee Saturday, Oct. 18.
Runner Up: Landon Collins, DB, Alabama

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR:

D'haquille Wiliams, WR, Auburn
There is really no other option in my mind. The JUCO transfer continues to be a revelation for Gus Malzahn and Rhett Lashlee on the Plains, and his 31 receptions for 493 yards lead the team. His early fumble against Mississippi State helped dig the Tigers into a hole, but without him Auburn wouldn't have been able to play their way back into the game. Williams provides Auburn with a pass-catching presence they haven't had in years and adds yet another dimension to their already-high octane offense.
Runner Up: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

SURPRISE OF THE YEAR:

Kenny Hill, QB, Texas A&M
Texas A&M's biggest challenge this offseason was replacing Johnny Football, yet "Kenny Trill" has seemed to make the transition with ease. In the Aggies' season opener, Hill lit up South Carolina's secondary passing for 511 yards and three scores, which broke Manziel's A&M record for passing yards in a game. Although Hill's interception numbers have increased over the past few weeks, his 2,649 passing yards are second in the country behind Washington State's Connor Halliday. Kenny Hill is here to stay, folks. expect him to be one of the top quarterbacks in the country over the next few years under head coach Kevin Sumlin's offense.
Runner Up: Quan Bray, WR, Auburn

COACH OF THE YEAR:

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State
Going into this season, experts expected an improved Mississippi State team, but not a national title contender. Dan Mullen's team in Starkville is playing at a championship level, and the Bulldogs are now enjoying their first No.1 ranking in school history. Regardless of how State finishes, hats off to Mullen and his staff.
Runner Up: Mark Stoops, Kentucky

C.J. Holmes is a sports writer for The Auburn Plainsman. He can be reached at sports@theplainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Midseason Southeastern Conference award watch” on social media.