​New defense, no problem for Jonathan Jones

<p>Will Muschamp during his introductory press conference on Dec. 13, 2014. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)</p>

Will Muschamp during his introductory press conference on Dec. 13, 2014. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

With the hiring of Will Muschamp as defensive coordinator, senior cornerback Jonathan Jones is learning his third defense during his four years at Auburn.

But that does not seem to bother Jones at all, who has a simple approach to learning new schemes.

“The thing about football is there’s different terminology, but it’s basically the same thing,” Jones said. “You learn the different nuances of each defense, but that’s mostly off the field. You’ve got to get in your playbook off the field, and then come on the field and execute.”

Muschamp has been with the team since his hiring in December, but his first spring practice of running the defense had a different feel than the bowl practices, according to Jones.

“It was different,” Jones said. “He was actually in charge today, so he was definitely intense. He knows what he’s talking about, so he has high expectations of us. We’ve got to meet his expectations because he’s not going to lower them.”

So far, Jones said he likes what Muschamp brings to the practice field.

“He’s intense,” Jones said. “He expects the best from you every day. Just energy. He wants you to bring your best energy, fly around, and that’s what you can expect from him every day.”

As for his new position coach, former Auburn defensive back Travaris Robinson, Jones said he and Muschamp have similar expectations for the defense.

“They’ve been together for a while, so they’re the same people,” Jones said. “They’re on the same page, both intense, and expect a lot from us.”

Share and discuss “​New defense, no problem for Jonathan Jones” on social media.