Auburn University theatre presents 'The Guest List'

With a stage lit only by a few light bulbs, and dirt spread beneath feet, dancers dressed in dark clothing slide across the floor.

This is the opening piece for Associate Professor Adrienne Wilson’s vision, “The Guest List.”

“I had this vision last year about bringing in guests artists and calling it, ‘The Guest List,’” Wilson said.

The show explores dance in different styles, with choreography by Bill Evans, George Staib, Karola Luttringhaus, Courtney World and Adrienne Wilson.

Elements of rhythm tap, modern dance, dance theatre and aerial skills are all exhibited through the unique pieces.

“Aftermath: Remembering,” choreographed by Bill Evans, provides commentary on how a community deals with tragedy in events such as Sept. 11, 2001.

The dancers wear all black, and their movements are filled with sorrow as they twirl under dim lighting.

“Aftermath is my favorite, because it has a very raw emotion to it,” said junior in civil engineering, Medora Pepper. “It’s a very human piece but also a piece that the audience can relate to because of the humanity.”

The dancers have been rehearsing since last semester, and Wilson has been waiting for her vision to come to life since last year. However, the last piece featured in the show was only taught to the ensemble last week.

“I’m completely thrilled,” Wilson said. “It just hit me tonight when I snuck on stage to watch that, ‘Wow, we have a great show,’ and I hope people come out to watch it.”

“The Guest List,” opens today at 7:30 p.m., with shows on Friday, Saturday and a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m.

Junior in pre-nursing, Hannah Barnett, said she is excited to finally see everything come together.

“It’s one thing to dance on stage,” Barnett said. “But to have an audience that you can connect with … I feed off that energy.” 

Share and discuss “Auburn University theatre presents 'The Guest List'” on social media.