Professor wins faculty achievement award

Bruce Tatarchuk, professor in the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering, has recently been honored with the SEC’s Auburn University Faculty Achievement Award for 2015.

Tatarchuk will receive a $5,000 honorarium.

In its third year, this award is relatively new, and the nominees from each SEC school will go on to compete for the Professor of the Year Award3.

Tatarchuk is the professor at Auburn’s Microfibrous Materials Manufacturing Center. He majored in chemical engineering at the University of Wisconsin and said it was lucky he found what he wanted to do so easily because he had not previously met any chemical engineers.

Tatarchuk has a total of 12 United States patents and multiple worldwide patents resulting from his research. He said he loves all of his research projects equally and anticipates the ones in the future.

“My favorite one is the next one,” Tatarchuk said. “It’s all about the quest.”

Mario Richard Eden, department chair of the department of chemical engineering, said Tatarchuk’s achievements go beyond what he’s done with his research patents.

“One thing that I think is just as impressive as everything else that he’s done is his translational work that he’s done to get his inventions into the marketplace and stuff like that, but he’s also served as the adviser for almost 80 graduate students and that is really impressive to me,” Eden said.

Tatarchuk said he was grateful to receive the award.

“I was very appreciative for the folks who nominated me,” Tatarchuk said.

John Weete, executive director of the Auburn Research and Technology Foundation, said he hoped to see more ideas from Tatarchuk in the future.

“I just hope he keeps doing what he’s doing, and I think what he’s doing is very important and that he continues to develop new innovative ideas and technologies that can be commercialized for the benefit of the students,” Weete said.

Share and discuss “Professor wins faculty achievement award” on social media.