New version of AU Access to launch Nov. 23

A big change is coming to a web site students and faculty use every day.

AU Access will be taken offline today, Nov. 20, at 5 p.m. to prepare for the launch of the new version on Monday, Nov. 23. With this upgrade, the site will be more accessible on mobile devices, have personalized content for each user and the overall layout will have a new look.

Seth Humphrey, manager of OIT Web and Mobile Development, said the website will work the same as the current version. Humphrey said the biggest difference will be seen with the tabs at the top of AU Access.

"Functionally, the Home, the Tiger I tab and the Campus Life tabs are now going to be designated as My Academics, My Finances and My Campus," Humphrey said. "The location of items you use are going to be in different locations."

Under the My Academics tab, students will be able to find their registration and grade information, according to Humphrey. Students can also look at their schedule for the week under this tab. Financial and scholarship information will be moved to the My Finances tab, and aspects of student life on campus will be placed under the Campus Life tab, according to Humphrey.

The new version will also use  AUthenticate, which allows students to remain logged in to their account for up to eight hours.

"If you log into AU access, and you then navigate to another application that uses Authenticate, you won’t be prompted to log in again," Humphrey said. "You’ll just go directly into that application."

Humphrey said he wants to stress to each student to completely shut down your browser after using AUthenticate and AU Access. Humphrey said this is best if students want "to navigate around to other sites so no one can just come in after you and be logged in."

With this new version comes personalized content, meaning the website will be slightly different to each person that uses it.

"It depends on who you are and your role at the university, whether you’re a student or a faculty member," Humphrey said. "[It also looks at] some aspects to what your job entails if you’re an employee."

Students were placed into focus groups and shown the new site, according to Humphrey. Their feedback was taken into consideration when developing the new version of the site, according to Humphrey.

"We’ve used both the positive feedback and negative feedback to kind of tweak some changes along the process to make this a better product," Humphrey said. "I think students are going to like it."

Humphrey said the upgrade was not done "for the sake of change" but as an opportunity to rebrand the website.

"It’s a whole fresh install from the ground up, so we decided to take this opportunity to put a little spin on it," Humphrey said. "[We want to get] some feedback from users and find out how they would like some changes made and how we could make this a much more functional tool for everyone involved."

Share and discuss “New version of AU Access to launch Nov. 23” on social media.