Auburn's water is safe to drink

People living in developed countries such as the United States generally assume the water that flows from their taps is safe.

Lead contamination in the city of Flint, Michigan, and apparent negligence of city and state officials have eroded that trust for many. However, according to a 2014 consumer confidence report for water quality and safety, there was no detectable level of lead in Auburn's tap water supply.

"Our staff is second-to-none," said Eric Carson, director of water resource management. "We have abundant resources. The water quality of our sources is excellent. Auburn water is superior, and we're very proud to provide that service."

Issues of lead contamination and poisoning in Flint arose after city officials switched the city's supply from water purchased from the sewer and water department of Detroit, with sources in Lake Huron and the Detroit River, to a new source: the Flint River.

Lake Huron  an ancient glacial lake  has a balanced acidity close to neutral, which in combination with treatments ensured that the water flowing through Flint's old, lead piping did not leach any of that lead out into the water supply.

When the city of Flint changed from Detroit water to Flint River water, which has a high acidity, city officials did not treat the water to balance its pH, according to Jim Hairston, professor emeritus of water resources. 

"Their primary problem was that they switched their source of water," Hairston said. "Over the years, when you have a plumbing system with lead piping, you can get lead contamination from the plumbing system. They changed water systems and didn't treat their water for corrosiveness."

The acidic water began to leach lead out of the old pipes into the city's drinking water, causing many children in Flint to be diagnosed with lead poisoning.

"None of our sources are acidic like what you read in Flint," Carson said. "That goes back to the quality of our water."

Auburn has three main sources of water, Lake Ogletree, a well along Highway 29 south of Auburn and Opelika Utilities. According to Carson, none of Auburn's water sources are highly acidic, and the city pH balances all water before allowing it into the city's plumbing system.

"We make sure when the water leaves the plant that it is pH balanced," Carson said. "We use post-lime feeding to adjust it to a pH of seven, and we also feed a corrosion inhibiter at the plant that coats the lines out in the system."

According to Carson, most of the main plumbing in Auburn is cast-iron. Additionally, the city constantly updates and renovates older lines. Some of the older lines in downtown are gradually being replaced during redevelopment in the area.

The problems in Flint resulted from apparent negligence on the part of city and state officials, according to Hairston.

"All they would have had to do is add lime to the water, and they wouldn't have had any of these problems," Hairston said.

Lead levels in Opelika's water supply were minuscule and nowhere near a level requiring any action, according to the latest consumer confidence report for Opelika's water supply.

According to Auburn's latest report, there was one safety violation requiring a public notice and corrective action. A slightly elevated level of total trihalomethane was reported.

Trihalomethane is a byproduct of chlorine sanitation used to ensure Auburn's water is clean and bacteria free. According to Carson, the elevated level was because of the sample site and time of year the sample was taken.

"As the chlorine reacts with the organics in the water, the longer it [the water] stays in the system, the higher those levels get," Carson said. "In that particular location, the water was older and the temperature [was higher]. The higher the temperature, the faster those byproducts develop."

Trihalomethane does not usually cause health side effects, according to both Hairston and Carson, but prolonged exposure could lead to some health issues. According to Hairston, freshening the water in the affected areas has most likely decreased the trihalomethane levels.

Share and discuss “Auburn's water is safe to drink” on social media.