Around the SEC: Weekend in Review

Crisis Control: Aggies win second straight after losing four in a row

Final: Texas A&M 79, No. 14 Kentucky 77

A&M: Jalen Jones 24 pts, 8 reb, 2 stl

It’s been a while since Texas A&M has been able to string together consecutive wins, and thanks to Tyler Davis’ overtime heroics Saturday in College Station, the Aggies can now add a much-needed victory over No. 14 Kentucky to their postseason resume.

Jalen Jones led A&M (20-7, 9-5 SEC) with 24 points, but it was Davis who sealed the deal for the Aggies in dramatic fashion. In the game’s final seconds, Davis was able to grab a missed Danuel House layup attempt in traffic and kiss it off the glass as time expired. Davis finished with 15 points and a team-high 12 rebounds to earn his second SEC Freshman of the Week honor.

Texas A&M overcame 43 points between Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray to end Kentucky’s (20-7, 10-4 SEC) four-game winning streak. The Aggies had 20 offensive rebounds to Kentucky’s six, resulting in 22 second-chance points.

Despite four straight losses to Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Alabama and LSU, ESPN’s bracketology expert Joe Lunardi had the Aggies as a five seed in this week’s NCAA tournament projections. With back-to-back wins over Ole Miss on Feb. 17 and the Wildcats this past weekend, A&M now has the opportunity to head into the SEC Tournament on a high note and improve their case with three of their last four remaining games against sub .500 teams.

One step forward, two steps back: LSU’s roller coaster season continues

Final: Tennessee 81, LSU 65

TEN: Robert Hubbs III 19 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl

Does the NCAA Tournament need Ben Simmons?

I think we would all love to see college basketball’s best player on the biggest stage, but the Tigers (16-11, 9-5 SEC) are now on the outside looking in after a 16-point loss to the Volunteers in Knoxville.

Simmons (who came off the bench) and fellow freshman Antonio Blakeney weren’t the problem, however. Simmons scored 21 points and Blakeney added 20, but the rest of LSU’s roster combined for only 24 – and that’s simply not enough production to get it done on the road in conference play.

Barring an improbable SEC Tournament run, the Vols (13-14, 6-8 SEC) won’t be heading to the big dance, but to their credit, somehow managed to get a big win against a top-5 SEC team without their top scorer Kevin Punter Jr. – who watched Saturdays game from the sideline with a walking boot on his right foot after fracturing it last Thursday against Kentucky. Tennessee had five players in double figures and out-rebounded LSU 42-35.

After playing their way to the top of the SEC standings, things have gone south for the Tigers as of late after losing three of their last four. That combined with a weak RPI, a weaker non conference schedule and the potential loss of guard Keith Hornsby for the rest of the season means that this team has a lot of work to do – and possibly in need of a miracle – to impress the selection committee heading into March.

We love you too, Mizzou: Don't count these guys out

We have to show some love to the Missouri Tigers for their 72-67 win over South Carolina on Feb. 16. 

Although they won't be dancing either, this team continues to play hard and it's important to point out that anything can happen in the SEC Tournament -- being an overlooked team playing great basketball at the right time can go a long way.

Just ask Bruce Pearl.

Share and discuss “Around the SEC: Weekend in Review” on social media.