Auburn adds Furman transfer JP Pegues

Bruce Pearl raises his freshly-cut net after winning the SEC Tournament on March 17, 2024

Bruce Pearl and his staff added Auburn's first transfer portal addition to the 2024-25 roster when JP Pegues announced his commitment to the Tigers on Friday through social media.

The Furman transfer averaged 18.4 points per game in the 2023-24 season, shooting 36.2 percent from deep. Pegues was a first team All-Southern Conference selection and started 66 games over the course of his time with Furman. 

Those numbers landed Pegues on the All-SoCon first team as he helped the Paladins reach the semifinal round of the Southern Conference Tournament in 2024.

Pegues was crucial in the Paladins' 2023 NCAA Tournament upset win over the No. 4 seed Virginia Cavaliers when he hit the game winning 3-pointer in the final moments of play. Pegues finished the game in double figures with 11 points and four assists in 29 minutes of action.

In the lead up to Pegues' one shining moment, he was named the 2023 Most Outstanding Player of the Southern Conference Men's Basketball Championship while leading the Paladins to their first league title since 1980.

Pegues started all 36 games of the 2023 season averaging 11.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. He scored in double figures 22 times and netted 20 or more points in six outings.

Choosing the Tigers over South Carolina and Florida, the 6-foot-1-inch guard comes to Auburn as a senior with one year of eligibility remaining.

With Tre Donaldson and Aden Holloway announcing their intentions to transfer from the program, Pearl will likely look to add another guard via the transfer portal to join Pegues, Denver Jones and incoming 5-star high school recruit Tahhad Pettiford.

Logan Fowler | Sports Writer

Logan Fowler is a junior from Sumiton, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in Spring 2024.

Share and discuss “Auburn adds Furman transfer JP Pegues” on social media.