Softball no-hits Appalachian State in 9-0 win

An explosive first inning and dominant pitching highlighted No. 4 Auburn's 9-0 season-opening win over Appalachian State University. The Tigers raced out to a 7-0 lead in the first inning and held the Mountaineers without a hit. The game ended in the fifth inning.

"There’s some things we did well, but we still need to improve," coach Clint Myers said. “I’m smiling. A 9-0 win with a no-hitter, that’s pretty easy coaching there.”

The Tigers, who set an SEC record for runs last season, only needed six pitches to get on the board in 2016, thanks to a triple by Kasey Cooper that sent Emily Carosone to home.

A Jade Rhodes single put Auburn up 2-0. After a wild pitch gave the Tigers another run, a Whitney Jordan triple extended Auburn's lead to 5-0. A sac fly by Victoria Draper made the score 6-0 before another wild pitch by Appalachian State extended the Tigers' lead to seven.

Senior pitcher Marcy Harper dominated, allowing just one Appalachian State player, Tiffany Taynor, to reach base, and that was on a walk.

“I thought Marcy threw lights out," Myers said. “I thought she executed quite well. (I’m) very pleased.”

Harper pitched four complete innings before being relieved by Rachael Walters, who only needed five pitches to end the game.

With the win, Auburn is now 33-3 at home since the beginning of last season, with more than half of the wins (17) coming by the run rule.

Share and discuss “Softball no-hits Appalachian State in 9-0 win” on social media.