No. 1 Auburn equestrian tops No. 6 TCU, 8-7, to claim fourth national championship in program history

For the fourth time in program history, the Auburn equestrian team finishes at the top.

By beating No. 6 TCU, 8-7, the No. 1-ranked Tigers claimed their first national championship since 2013, capping a season full of dominance.

"It was a dramatic finish to a great season," said head coach Greg Williams. "I'm so proud of this team and the great coaching staff. This staff had everyone ready to play and it's been an awesome weekend. I give so much credit to TCU for having a fantastic championship. They proved they're here to compete and are going to be successful in the future.

"We had a lot of business to settle and the focus we had all the way to the end really paid off. I'm so proud and am thankful to have one of the greatest groups of seniors I've ever had. And they'll turn around and say that the underclassmen bought in 100 percent to the program. This is one of the most unified team I've ever coached at Auburn."

Auburn got out to a 7-5 lead heading into the final event of the match, Reining, where freshman Blair McFarlin claimed a point for the Tigers over Hunter De Jane, 138-137.5. However, the Horned Frogs clawed back to within two points after the next match. Senior Hailey Munger tied TCU rider Brooke Boyle in her ride, 142-142, to ensure the Tigers took home the title. 

"We've been working up to this moment all year," Munger said. "I felt a lot of pressure going into that last ride, but I wasn't nervous. I knew my teammates trusted me and I knew I could do it."

The Tigers grabbed two points in Equitation over Fences, as freshmen Caitlin Boyle and Ashton Alexander picked up a pair of wins. Hannah Loseke topped Marah Houston in Horsemanship to finish the weekend without a loss. Boyle, Alexander, junior Ashley Foster and senior Elizabeth Benson swept TCU in Equitation on the Flat, 4-0.

Earning Most Outstanding Player honors in the match were Benson for Flat, Boyle for Fences and McFarlin for Reining. Those three, along with Loseke, were named to the NCEA All-Championship Team.

Share and discuss “No. 1 Auburn equestrian tops No. 6 TCU, 8-7, to claim fourth national championship in program history” on social media.