Tigers to face Florida State in WCWS semifinal

Late inning heroics pushed Auburn past conference foe and rival Georgia in their second game of the WCWS on Saturday. Now, Auburn will face the Florida State Seminoles in a semifinal game in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Florida State (55-9) dropped their first game in this year’s WCWS to Georgia after the Seminoles made a season high seven errors in the contest.

They have now battled back behind the pitching of ACC Pitcher of the Year Jessica Burroughs.

Florida State is coached by Lonni Alameda, who has guided the Seminoles to the NCAA postseason in each of her eight years as the head softball coach.

In Florida State’s victory over Michigan on Sunday, Burroughs was brilliant in the circle. She threw a complete game shutout, giving up only three hits, and she struck out six Michigan batters.

Burroughs (29-5) has not given up a run in her last 13 innings of work and has only allowed four hits by the last 46 batters she has faced. She is expected to start Sunday night against Auburn.

Offensively, Florida State is led by first basemen and leadoff batter Alex Powers. Powers has a .400 batting average and has just over 75 hits on the season.

Infielder Jessica Warren also adds power to the Seminole offense. Warren bats .385 and has 20 home runs on the season.

A combined pitching effort from Makayla Martin and Rachael Walters pushed the Tigers over Georgia on Saturday. Now, Auburn pitching coach Corey Myers is likely to send Kaylee Carlson to the circle to take on the Seminoles.

With a win, Auburn will advance to the WCWS finals. In order for Florida State to advance, the Seminoles must beat Auburn twice.

First pitch of the semifinal matchup is set for 6:00 p.m. CST Sunday night and can be seen on ESPN2.

Share and discuss “Tigers to face Florida State in WCWS semifinal” on social media.