COLUMN: Beat the heat and still move your feet

It's the beginning of July, and unless you are swimming, it is unbearable to be outside.

But what do you do if your driveway or hot garage are the only places you have to sneak in a workout?

Simple — you make do with what you have. There are many low-intensity exercises that you can do outside in the 100 degree weather that won't make you have to crawl back inside. 

Abs

Most ab exercises are simple enough that you can keep your heart rate down, thus helping you keep from passing out in the heat. Here are a few of my favorite impacting moves.

1.) Bicycles - The slower you go the more you are working your core. It's very important that you make sure to bring your knee to the opposite elbow each time.

2.) Plank - Plank is great because it knocks the breath out of you without causing you to feel lightheaded. Try holding for a minute, or two 30 second sessions.

Arms

It's important to go slow while doing arm workouts outside so you don't get too dizzy, but still work your muscles. Here are a few exercises that can help you do this. 

1.) Tricep dips - Find a park bench and get your heart rate up by doing tricep dips. The further away your feet are from your body the more you are working your core as well as your arms.

2.) Standing pushups on wall - Standing pushups are easier than regular pushups, but still tone and shape your arms. 

Legs

There are several ways to build leg muscle without over-working yourself. Here are a few moves that won't leave you exhausted.

1.) Sumo squats - Spread your legs and squat low, and work your inner thighs. The lower you go the better.

2.) Walking lunges - Slow and steady walking lunges are a great way to tone your legs without passing out.

Use these exercises to stay toned this summer while beating the heat. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Beat the heat and still move your feet” on social media.