COLUMN | Where to find healthy eating alternatives in Auburn

A graphic visualizing healthy food mentioned in the article.

Finding healthy alternatives in Auburn can be a struggle. Especially when it comes to finding quick eats that aren’t unhealthy. When I was a freshman in college, I became gluten-free, and that narrowed my options when finding food on-the-go. It was hard to figure out what was actually somewhat healthy versus what seemed healthy, but actually was unhealthy for you.

Here are some of my favorite healthy but still super quick foods around Auburn that are allergy-friendly. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland, and it doesn't mean giving up eating out; it’s just about finding alternatives.

If you need something convenient, one of my go-to quick meals is Chick-fil-A. The grilled nuggets are a perfect entree option that are healthy and gluten-free. If you add a sauce, you can mix up what flavor you want each time so you don’t get bored. I normally pair it with the kale crunch salad or a fruit cup. 

When I first heard of Chick-fil-A’s kale crunch salad, I thought there was no way a fast food salad could taste good. But just trust me, try it before you turn your nose up at it.

Another light bite is Chicken Salad Chick. At every location, they sell tubs of the chicken salads which have up to four scoops in it for $12. This meal is perfect with some crackers. 

If you're looking for something downtown, Jimmy Johns has an option for all their sandwiches called the "unwich." It’s where they take a sandwich and instead of bread they wrap it in lettuce. It’s like eating a salad but in sandwich form, which, in my opinion, makes it a lot more fun than eating a boring salad. Also, it eliminates any gluten and makes it a healthier meal.

One of my favorite options that I end up eating the most every week is Chipotle. Their bowls are gluten-free, and they can be as healthy as you make them. There are so many options to mix up your bowls and get all of your protein in.  

Make your way down to Heyday Market and try Loud Roots. This restaurant has extremely quick service and a ton of healthy food options compared to other Auburn restaurants. You can create your own bowls, but they even have some food pre-made to grab when in a rush. 

Lastly, another quick option on campus is Starbucks. They have gluten-free egg bites that are perfect for when you're on-the-go. Or if you're looking for a sandwich, the turkey, bacon and egg white McMuffin is light and delicious. Another option is the spinach, feta and egg white wrap, which is stock-full of protein. 

These are all healthy alternatives for when you're in a rush but don’t want to eat bad. College is all about balance and finding ways to make things work without sacrificing your diet.  

Share and discuss “COLUMN | Where to find healthy eating alternatives in Auburn ” on social media.