University names new chief information officer

James "Jim" O'Connor of Georgia Institute of Technology has been named the University's chief information officer, effective October 1, according to a University release.

“He will provide strong leadership for Auburn in the ever-changing field of information technology,” said Provost Timothy Boosinger. “We look forward to his guidance and development of a strategic IT plan that will keep Auburn at the forefront.”

The new position of chief information officer was created to ensure that Auburn has the information systems and technology to support all programs, Boosinger said.

O’Connor will report to President Jay Gogue, the release states, and will have oversight of all aspects of information systems for the University, including "information technology governance; strategic planning; management of cybersecurity; delivery of central information technology services; development of research computing networks; and launching new technology initiatives with a focus on the enhancement of student and faculty success."

“I’m thrilled to be joining Auburn University,” O’Connor said. “I’m looking forward to working with a group of people who obviously care so deeply about the faculty, staff, researchers and students. My wife, Pat, and I hope to fully be engaged both here on campus and in the larger Auburn community.

"Auburn’s Office of Information Technology is a respected service provider on campus. With new technologies come the opportunity to expand the office’s services and provide a greater level of support for the academic, research and business missions of the university. We’ll work collaboratively with the IT professionals across campus to effectively deliver secure services how, where and when those services are needed.”

Share and discuss “University names new chief information officer” on social media.