Baseball shows promise in summer league

At the close of the 2015-2016 season, 14 Tigers set out to compete in summer collegiate baseball leagues around the country. Following the draft that number thinned to 11, most of them rising sophomores, that played in Ohio, Wisconsin, California, Florida and more.

Jeremy Johnson – Lima Locos

The sophomore shined with the Lima Locos in northwest Ohio this summer, batting .368 with 11 stolen bases and seven doubles in 27 games. The outfielder slugged .430 with a .459 on base percentage, making a championship playoff run and earning league All-Star honors. Johnson totaled 50 hits, 32 runs and 14 RBI with 17 stolen bases while finishing second in league batting average.

Daino Deas – Lima Locos

Joining Johnson to complete the Auburn duo in Lima was sophomore Daino Deas. The infielder slashed .280/.394/.309 during the summer season with 18 runs, 37 hits and 25 RBI. Deas also had a .980 fielding percentage through 238.2 innings, boding well from a year of redshirting and studying Auburn’s Melvin Gray.

Gordon Cardenas – Wisconsin Woodchucks

Right-handed pitcher Gordon Cardenas found success after striking out 17 and posting a 2.35 ERA his first season with Auburn. The California native went 5-0 this summer with the Wisconsin Woodchucks in the Northwoods League. The junior had a 4.50 ERA through 30 innings with 26 strikeouts and 10 saves.  Cardenas’ final outing of the summer was his longest, going four innings with two strikeouts and allowing only four hits.

Jonathan Foster –Wisconsin Woodchucks

Sophomore Jonathan Foster paired with his teammate Cardenas in Wisconsin to play in 37 games behind the dish. The catcher batted .238 with 31 hits and 15 RBI in Wisconsin, notching one home run through the season.

Jack McPherson – West Boca Snappers

Sophomore catcher Jack McPherson headed south for the summer to join the West Boca Snappers in the South Florida Collegiate League. McPherson had 10 hits in 55 at bats with four doubles, a triple and six RBI. The catcher drew 14 walks and stole three bases in 28 games.

Alan Smith – West Boca Snappers

Alan Smith rounded out another Auburn duo for the 2016 summer league season - this time in Florida. The sophomore had 13 runs, 20 hits and 12 RBI in 97 at bats with the Snappers. He slashed .206/.278/.287 with four doubles, eight walks and seven stolen bases during the season.

Damon Haecker – Plymouth Pilgrims

The senior played 228 innings at shortstop with 51 assists and one error, even making an appearance on the mound. His three-inning spout ended with a 3.00 ERA, one strikeout and two runs scored. Haecker batted .183 with a .304 on base percentage, but was plagued with strikeouts. He went down 22 times and drew 15 walks but managed 11 RBI in 93 at bats.

Andrew Mitchell – Plymouth Pilgrims

Sitting at a .500 record of 2-2 during the summer season, Mitchell had 30 strikeouts in 49.1 innings with the Pilgrims. The pitcher started eight games allowing 21 walks and 37 hits while finishing with a 4.19 ERA.

Cannon Rodgers – Pompano Beach Clippers

Birmingham, Alabama native Cannon Rodgers also found himself in the South Florida Collegiate League, posting a 2-1 record with the Pompano Beach Clippers. In 11 games and 18 innings, Rodgers struck out 21 and allowed 18 hits while posting a 7.50 ERA.

Daniel Robert – Santa Barbara Foresters

The senior had five games with the Foresters this summer, tossing only seven innings with a loss and a 6.42 ERA. Robert earned one save in through his five games and struck out 10.

JJ Shaffer – Winchester Royals

Senior JJ Shaffer hit .239 with 32 hits, 28 runs and an OPS of .646 in the Valley Baseball League. Shaffer swiped 22 bases and batted in 14 through 40 summer season and two playoff games. He had 1.000 fielding percentage through 335.2 innings with 87 putouts and two assists in the outfield.

Share and discuss “Baseball shows promise in summer league” on social media.