Predict success for the Tigers

In late August the only thing on the mind of Auburn students and fans is the quickly approaching college football season. College football is king for most in this part of the country, and while the football season never fails to usher in excitement, the upcoming basketball season will soon capture the attention of many on the Plains and around the nation.

Here is a (way too early) look at why Bruce Pearl's 2016-2017 Tigers will be one of the better teams in the conference:

Mustapha Heron has arrived

Mustapha Heron's commitment to Auburn gave Pearl his biggest recruiting gem since he's been at Auburn. The incoming freshman guard was a highly touted recruit out of high school, and expects to make an impact on the floor for the Tigers immediately. Heron, a Waterbury, Connecticut native, averaged 30 points and eight rebounds in his senior season at Sacred Heart High School and scored 79 points in his final two high school appearances. The 6-foot-5 five-star is the 19th ranked overall recruit in the 2016 class, and committed to Auburn over St. John’s, Mississippi State, Marquette and Alabama. 

When asked about his decision in choosing to play for Pearl, Heron told The Auburn Plainsman, “Just comfort level - I just really had a comfort level with the whole coaching staff when I committed and it drove me all the way through.”

Heron believes that he has “gotten better since I’ve been here” and that he has been improving specifically in his offensive abilities.

“Just improving on trying to score the ball and I think that’s going to be a big thing that I can bring to the team, being able to put the ball in the basket,” Heron said.

T.J. Dunans is healthy 

After missing 15.5 games last season due to a left knee injury suffered in in the Diamond Head Classic, T.J. Dunans is healthy heading into his senior season on the Plains. The Columbus State Community College transfer appeared in 16 games for the Tigers last season, averaging 11.6 points and 2.5 rebounds. The nations top ranked JUCO player in 2014-2015 is one of two seniors on the team and looks to be a major factor in the Tigers success in 2016. 

Horace Spencer and Bryce Brown have a year of experience 

A 2015 Tiger team that lacked depth needed Horace Spencer and Bryce Brown on the floor early and often. Brown, a four-star recruit out of Stone Mountain, Georgia, averaged 10.1 points per game while shooting 37 percent from behind the arc last season. The 6-foot-3 guard looks to improve in his playmaking skill set and setting up the half-court offense for the Tigers this season. With the dismissal of a 5-foot-9 Kareem Canty last season, Brown was called upon to be a more prominent role as a ball handler and will look forward to bigger guards joining him in the Auburn backcourt. 

“I’ve been working on all aspects of my game you know. Ball handling, sharpening my shooting skills," Brown said. The sophomore stressed that he is really trying to be “more of a playmaker.”

Brown also believes that the minutes he received as a freshman will give him an advantage heading into this season.

“It makes it more comfortable. I bring my experience from that one year of playing in the SEC and I think that has made me a more comfortable and physical player. I’ve become more physical and stronger. That’s what a full year in the SEC has done for me.”

Spencer, a 6-foot-9 225 pounder out of Findlay Prep averaged 5.1 points, 4.9 rebounds and appeared in all 31 games for the Tigers in 2015. Spencer recorded 65 blocks, leading all SEC freshman in that category. Spencer's experience as a freshman will be valuable to the center as he looks to be more of an offensive threat for the Tiger offense. The Tigers lack of height will force Pearl to rely on the sophomore center as the Tigers primary defensive anchor.

“I’ve been working on my offense a lot more, because defense to me is natural so it’s going to come. I’ve been working on my offense trying to get a nice mid range jump shot, work on my free throw percentage,” Spencer said.

Danjel Purifoy is eligible (finally)

The days of Danjel Purifoy watching from the bench are over in Auburn Arena. The 6-foot-7 forward was forced to sit out last season in its entirety due to questions surrounding his ACT scores, but has now been cleared to play by the NCAA.  Due to a lack of height on the Tiger front court, Purifoy will most likely be playing a stretch four and try to provide scoring in bunches. Purifoy's 6-foot-7 frame will force Pearl to rely on sophomore center Spencer as the Tigers primary defensive anchor. 

The Auburn team understands what Purifoy’s size and skills will bring to the Tiger front court.

“Honestly having Danjel coming back is big, because he can play the three and the four,” Spencer said. “He is a mismatch at every position he plays.”

Auburn will take on North Florida on November 11, in Auburn Arena, in the Tigers first game of the regular season.  

Share and discuss “Predict success for the Tigers” on social media.