Jeremy Johnson withheld from Saturday's scrimmage

Rising senior quarterback Jeremy Johnson found himself sidelined during Auburn's second scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday. He was held out of the Tigers scrimmage in Jordan Hare Stadium due to a throwing hand injury he suffered earlier in the week. 

"Jeremy, we did hold him out but it wasn't anything that was major," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said. "We just wanted to get some more information on those two. Don't read anything in between that, it's just that's what we chose to do with the Orange."

Johnson is still battling for the staring position with sophomore quarterback Sean White and junior college transfer John Franklin III. 

Malzahn insisted that the situation was "nothing serious" and that the 6-foot-5 quarterback is still "healthy."

With Johnson sitting out on Saturday, Malzahn and offensive coaches were given the chance to further evaluate White and Franklin. 

"We're not ready to name a starter right now," Malzahn said. "That's not a bad thing. It's just once we make a call we want to be sure. This situational thing will help somewhat, but it's not like we're going to come out tomorrow and name a starter, so we still got work to do."

There is still no timetable for when a decision will be made. School begins for Auburn students on Aug. 16 and Malzahn hopes to know more by that time. 

Share and discuss “Jeremy Johnson withheld from Saturday's scrimmage ” on social media.