Tigers walk away with improvement after second scrimmage

The Auburn football team held their second scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

“Our ones did a lot of situational scrimmage things: backed up, we did an overtime period, we did a plus-50 period,” said Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. “Our twos and threes, at the end of that, did a lot more as far as just moving the football, playing football.”

The quarterback competition is still in full swing with three men "competing their guts off" according to Malzahn, and the running back situation is progressing with many new faces receiving carries. Malzahn stated that former H-back Kamryn Pettway received most of the carries at the tailback position today. 

"Overall it was pretty good energy out there. It was hot, which was good," Malzahn said. "We did have some of our donors out there for the first time, probably close to anywhere from 700 to 1,000 people. I thought it was good to get out there in front of people and see how our guys react, specifically the young guys. Overall, I thought it was solid.”

Special teams were a primary focus during the scrimmage, and after Malzahn stepped away from the turf of Pat Dye Field pleased with all three phases of the ball. 

“Good competition on all three phases,” he said. “The backup situation that we did is always good. Then the plus-25, overtime situation was very good strategically so your players kind of know what to expect on both sides of the ball… You always got to be prepared.”

Young players at the receiving position continued to impress, as did Stanton Truitt. The rising sophomore agreed with Malzahn on the progression of the team as a whole. 

“It was a solid scrimmage. We've just got to keep gelling as a team, keep coming together. I think we'll be ready," Truitt said. "We're still trying to gel, bringing the younger guys in and trying to get those guys ready as well. I think everything will time up right.”

The Tiger defense also took a step forward for defensive coordinator Kevin Steele on Saturday. Sophomore defensive back Markell Boston hopes that the recent improvement of the defense will carry over into the 2016 season. 

“I feel like we’re going to do a good job during the season,” Boston said. “I mean, we’re going to clean it up in practice, but during the season … if we get a takeaway, we’ve got to find a way to keep the ball in our hands, in our possession, and get the offense back on the field.”

Defensively the unit forced multiple turnovers, including multiple interceptions. The defense as a whole took a "step forward" on Saturday according to Boston. 

The progression of the defense, as well as the quarterback battle, will continue over the next weeks before the 2015 national runner-up Clemson Tigers visit the Plains on Sept. 3. 

Share and discuss “Tigers walk away with improvement after second scrimmage ” on social media.