SGA: Register to vote

Summer has finally come to an end but the election season is entering its home stretch. The candidates are 46 days away from the election, but there is still time for everyone to have their voice heard.

Auburn students are registering to vote in this year’s national election. “Voting is one of the best ways you can be involved,” said Ken Ward, Director of Political Projects for the Student Government Association. “SGA is committed to getting students involved in their communities.”

The Voter Registration Initiative, aimed at helping Auburn students become more politically educated and engaged, starts Friday, Sept. 23, and will continue through Monday, Oct. 24, which is the last day for Alabama residents to register to vote.

The University of Alabama’s SGA has a similar initiative. 

Their goal is to register 1,000 voters. “Our goal at Auburn is to register at least 1,001 people to beat the University of Alabama’s registration goal,” Ward said.

Ward said, “This is not a partisan project, and we want all students’ voices to be heard.” Auburn’s SGA does not support any one candidate but wants more Auburn students to participate in democracy.

“Decisions made by elected officials influence our lives on a daily basis,” Ward said. “From road repairs to student loan fees, these decisions have direct implications on the lives of college students.”

Auburn’s SGA intends to continue this initiative even in non-election years.

The best way students can make an impact is by sharing the initiative on social media or by word of mouth. 

“Students can encourage other students to register,” Ward said. “Additionally, students can visit the SGA website under the External Affairs section and find information about how to register in their state, file for an absentee ballot and links to the major candidates’ websites.”

SGA will host the registration events at all major campus events throughout the month in order to ensure everyone receives the opportunity to register.

This letter was sent by the Auburn SGA.

Share and discuss “SGA: Register to vote” on social media.