Auburn construction updates and how it will affect your travel

As the North College Streetscape Project construction began this month, it became another addition to several projects under construction in the area.

Several apartment complexes and mixed-use developments are planned or in the building phases in Auburn, adding more structures to the skyline, while the North College streetscape project has immediate effects on traffic.

The North College Streetscape Project

This $425,733 project will provide new on-street parking, enhanced pedestrian lighting and sidewalk improvements along North College Street from Tichenor Avenue to the train railway.

The project details a wider Americans with Disabilities Act compliant sidewalk, nine new on-street parking spaces and pedestrian lights all on the east side of North College Street between Glenn Avenue and the railroad tracks.

Part of the northbound turn lane on North College Street between Glenn Avenue and the train railway will close and be transformed into the new parking spaces.

“We will continue to have the right turn lane as you go toward the railroad tracks, but right there at the intersection, we’re actually moving out the curb, getting rid of part of that … through lane there and turning that into parking,” said Jeff Ramsey, director of public works and city engineer. “But as you get closer to Mitcham [Avenue] up there, we will have a right turn lane—actually start picking up the right turn lane before you get to the railroad tracks.”

With the Lofts apartments providing streetscape improvements, including sidewalks and pedestrian lighting, next to its site by the tracks, the streetscape on that section of College Street will be complete and link the recent improvements on Mitcham Avenue and Opelika Road to the remainder of downtown Auburn.

Similarly, the project includes new wider ADA compliant sidewalks and lighting on the north side of Glenn Avenue between College Street and the Balcony apartment construction, with the apartment complex being responsible for streetscape improvements next to its site too.

Pedestrian lights and ADA compliant sidewalks, along with street trees, are also planned between Tichenor and Glenn avenues on North College Street.

More lighting at the intersection of Tichenor Avenue and College Street has been a particular concern as this crosswalk was the scene of a recent serious vehicle-pedestrian accident, city documents for the project read.

The northbound turn lane on North College Street between Tichenor and Glenn avenues will occasionally be closed while work is performed. However, the northbound turn lane on North College Street between the railway and Mitcham Avenue will remain open.

Pedestrian traffic will be detoured around the work area at Tichenor Avenue on the south side and Mitcham Avenue to the north. Traffic will be diverted into adjacent lanes, and flaggers and signs will be in place as needed to guide motorists.

“We really think it ought to be a fairly quick project,” Ramsey said. “We think we should be through with this thing in about a month.”

Most construction will be active during the day, Ramsey said, encouraging motorists, pedestrians and cyclists to seek alternate routes to avoid delay.

Evolve on West Glenn Avenue

Under a towering crane on West Glenn Avenue by Wright Street emerges the skeleton of what will become the Evolve Auburn apartments, which will be completed by July 2017, according to developer CA Ventures.

The $32 million construction project will sit on 1.93 acres of land on West Glenn Avenue and will tower at 75 feet, a height that has long been a concern of some Auburn citizens who believe this and other future major developments put the “loveliest village” aura they feel Auburn has at stake.

"We do feel like Auburn has a heritage, and the village charm is a big part of that," said Susan Hunnicutt, public relations officer for Keep Auburn Lovely, a grassroots Auburn group. "We've experienced explosive growth in the last couple of years. ... But that is our heritage. That is why people want to come here. That's why so many people come to Auburn University."

However, JJ Smith, chief operating officer with CA Ventures, said the red brick building façade with its grey accents will have a “classic look with a slightly modern touch” that will fit well with both the University and the downtown area.

The apartments, which will house 456 beds with 126 units, is 40 percent complete, he added.

“Five levels of post-tension concrete slabs — parking and retail — will be topped out in the next two weeks, with only small portions of Level 5 left to pour,” Smith said this month.

The city plans to make Wright Street a two-way street and place new sidewalks and lights next summer to help with traffic during Evolve Auburn’s construction, Ramsey said.

Move-in for Evolve Auburn is slated for August 2017.

The Standard

The six-story, 65-foot development approved in early August will house 16,000 square feet of retail space and bring 219 units with 683 bedrooms to the corner of Gay Street and East Glenn Avenue where a closed Checkers, Adventure Sports and Da Gallery sit.

“So obviously with that size development, this would be the biggest student-housing development that we have seen," said Assistant City Manager Kevin Cowper in August.

160 Ross, which opened fall 2015, touted 642 individual beds across 182 two-, three- and four-bedroom units.

The project includes 247,000-square-foot parking garage with 688 parking spaces, some of which the developer, Landmark Properties, has agreed to allow the city to use as metered public parking to help relieve downtown’s parking demand.

Landmark Properties will also install parallel parking and a bus pullout next to the site on Gay Street, according to the agreement.

Construction for The Standard is planned to begin December 2017, though construction preparations for the project would begin in early 2017.

During the construction phase that includes sidewalk improvements, pedestrians will be detoured around the project site, according to the development agreement.

Exterior construction would most likely be completed by early 2019 with move-in following for the fall 2019 semester.

191 College at the University Chevron

This 75-foot, seven-story retail and apartment building slated to begin in 2017 will replace the University Chevron gas station on the corner of College Street and Glenn Avenue.

Retail businesses will occupy the bottom floor of the building with living quarters on top. It will hold 127 units with 465 beds.

For over a year as the project takes shape, sidewalks on the southern side of Glenn Avenue between Wright and College streets will be closed.

Part of Wright Street and its adjacent sidewalk will close during the entire project from May 2017 to August 2019. The street will be used as a delivery and loading dock for the construction.

The project, developed by ACC OP (College Street) LLC, will also require narrowing Glenn Avenue from 11 feet to 10 feet once upward construction begins in February 2018. There is no anticipated lane or sidewalk closures, however, along the eastern perimeter of North College Street during construction.

The Balcony and the Lofts

These two structures are the closest to construction completion. The Balcony lies on Glenn Avenue between College and Gay streets, while the Lofts peeks out on College Street by the railroad tracks.

The Balcony, a 55-foot building, contains 11 units with 51 beds, while the Lofts will have 12 units, 51 beds and stand at 51 feet, according to the city.

Residents moved into the housing complexes this fall, but the retail spaces are still being finished, said developer Brian Malone. 

The projects are about 95 percent complete with some lighting, final structure details and landscaping left to finish, Malone said.

The city said there shouldn't be any affects on traffic as the developer puts the finishing touches on and around the buildings.

Share and discuss “Auburn construction updates and how it will affect your travel” on social media.