13 Tigers post personal bests at Commodore Invitational

Auburn senior Wellington Zaza won the men’s 60mH with a personal best time of 7.81 on the final day of the Commodore Invitational in Nashville on Saturday. Auburn also had 13 other Tiger personal bests on the same day of competition.

“I like the fight I saw this weekend in our first meet of the season,” Auburn head coach Ralph Spry said. “We finished with a lot of personal bests and won four events. This meet gives us a good base to build on and I look forward to seeing this team improve every week.”

Zaza posted a 7.91 in the prelims to be the top seed in the final. Auburn's Xavier Coakley also posted a personal best in the 60mH, finishing third with a time of 7.94 and moved into sixth all-time in school history.

Mitchell Gomez and Kevin Wyss both posted personal bests in the men’s 3000m. Gomez finished with an 8:22.87, while Wyss posted a 8:26.78.

After posting a PR in the pole vault on Friday, heptathlete Chris Stone added two more on Saturday in the 60m and the 60mH. Stone finished ninth in the 60mH with a personal best 8.45 and then posted a 7.26 in the men’s 60m.

Raheem Chambers finished third in the men’s 60m with a time of 6.70 in his first collegiate meet. The freshman's time ranks as the No. seven time in program history. Junoir O’dean Skeen advanced to the finals with a 6.73.

On the women's side, Jakayla Hand finished third with a personal best 42-0.75/12.82m in the triple jump. Senior Marshay Ryan jumped 42-5.5/12.94m and finished third.

Emily Stevens and Wesley Curles both finished with personal bests in the mile. Stevens came in second with a 4:43.45, which ranks No. three on Auburn’s top performers list. Curles finished with a 4:04.44.

Akeem Bloomfield won the men’s 400m with a 46.68, which puts him eighth all-time in Auburn history. Sophomore Randall Ceneus finished third with a personal best time of 46.98.

Veronica Eder moved into second all-time in the women’s 3000m with a 9:24.31. Brenda Kigen finished sixth with a personal best 9:40.63.

Auburn track and field will return to action on Saturday as it hosts the Auburn Invitational in Birmingham. The Tigers will be joined by LSU, Alabama and Ohio State at the Birmingham Crossplex.

Share and discuss “13 Tigers post personal bests at Commodore Invitational ” on social media.