Former Auburn guard announces transfer to Fresno State

Former Auburn guard New Williams has committed to Fresno State, CBS Sports reported Monday night.

Williams, a former four-star recruit, announced his transfer from Auburn on Dec. 15 prior to Auburn’s victory over Coastal Carolina. The Inglewood, California native averaged 0.9 points, 0.8 rebounds and 0.2 assists in 6.4 minutes in 21 games last season for Auburn. He did not appear in a game for the Tigers this season.

“Being at Auburn has been a truly special experience,” Williams said in a video announcing his transfer. “Being at Auburn has taught me a lot about being a man; it has taught me how to be a better leader and a better person. The community, the fans, the fans that never once stopped believing in me through all the obstacles that I faced, stuck through it.”

“Through the knee injuries, through the troubles we had as a team, not once did that Auburn family turn their back on us. That says a lot about the people here. That will be missed. There is nowhere in the country where that can be replicated.”

Williams scored a career-high four points in 16 minutes at Vanderbilt last season. He totaled a career-high five rebounds in 18 minutes at Tennessee.

“We wish New the best,” Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said in a release after Williams’s transfer. “He has a terrific future. Last year was difficult because of all those injuries, and this year and the future, it just looks like a numbers game that presents less opportunity. New has grown on and off the court and genuinely respects and cares about Auburn."

Fresno State is 11-7 this season, good for fourth in the Mountain West conference. Williams will sit out a season before gaining eligibility for the Bulldogs.

Share and discuss “Former Auburn guard announces transfer to Fresno State” on social media.