Protesters receive mixed reactions while advocating for equal pay for women

On International Women's Day, students and faculty gathered at Toomer's Corner protesting for equal rights for women. With signs raised high, the group yelled to bystanders and cars as they passed by. 

Emily Koelle, senior in interior design, yelled, "Equal pay is dope," while being screamed at by drivers. Affirming honks kept spirits high as the protest pressed on. 

Koelle was unable to participate in the Women's March on Washington in February, which she said was discouraging. She was glad to participate in a local event. Even though there are few people supporting the group, Koelle said it is important that people stand behind their beliefs. 

"It's not a matter of Trump or Hillary or Republican or Democrat," Koelle said. "Women have been universally disadvantaged, and we should say something about that." 

Koelle said detractors shouted, "Go get a job," "I have a job that needs some cheap labor," and derogatory terms directed at her and fellow protestors. 

Koelle said she protests for the janitors and professors in her building, all of whom are affected by unequal pay. Koelle referred to her professor and fellow protester as a friend, as the group has grown close over the semester. 

"We are taught in Auburn at my classes how to fight for equal pay and how to tell an employer that you're worth the same as men," Koelle said.

Paula Frances Peek, professor of consumer and design sciences, helped organize the protest with her students.

"I was striking for the day, and I made sure my dean and my department head knew," Peek said. "I asked if it was okay if I worked with the students because we have in our program 98 percent women. ... And they were fully behind it. We were all surprised the University didn't have a statement about it."

Peek said the group decided to take action. Her main focus was to push her students to work toward what they want. She said she believes that's where change comes from. 

"We had a few that said, 'Get a job,' and, you know, we all have jobs," Peek said. "So that was kind of funny. Stuff that's a little negative. I think it's an education problem."

Allen Walker, student in interior design, was thankful that his professor organized the event. 

"I'm a strong believer in equal pay for equal work," Walker said. "Currently, women probably make about 78 percent compared to, say, a white male would. We're out here protesting that and trying to get equal pay for equal work for not only women but everyone, minorities and all across the board." 

Share and discuss “Protesters receive mixed reactions while advocating for equal pay for women ” on social media.