Softball avoids first SEC sweep of Myers era with 1-0 win at UF

Now in his fourth season with the Auburn Tigers, head coach Clint Myers' team has never been swept in a conference series. Kaylee Carlson and No. 4 Auburn kept that streak alive on Monday night, defeating the Florida Gators, 1-0.

It took just one run for the Tigers to down the second-ranked Gators, as Carlson held the home squad in check to the tune of three hits allowed. Carlson (15-1) also turned in four strikeouts.

The lone score in the contest was logged by Auburn sophomore Kendall Veach in the second inning. The first baseman, who finished 1 for 3 on the night, smacked her team-leading eighth home run of 2017 over the wall of Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium, handing the Tigers the 1-0 lead. The remainder of the Auburn roster converted only two other hits, coming from Carlee Wallace and Haley Fagan.

Carlson kept the Gator offense at bay, shutting out Florida despite allowing five walks and stranding seven Florida players on base.

The grueling SEC schedule won’t let up, as the Tigers (28-5, 3-3) will spend this coming weekend in Athens, Georgia, for a Friday through Sunday series with the No. 16 Bulldogs. Auburn is 5-5 this season in games against ranked opponents.

Georgia (26-7, 2-4 SEC) opened conference play with a 2-1 series win over Kentucky before being swept by LSU. The first pitch for game one in Athens is set for 6 p.m. CST on Friday night. Fans can catch the action live on the SEC Network+. 

Share and discuss “Softball avoids first SEC sweep of Myers era with 1-0 win at UF” on social media.