Auburn run rules Missouri to set up rubber match

Auburn Baseball loses second game in the series against University of Kentucky at home on April 12th 2024

Tying the series 1-1, the Auburn Tigers (24-25, 5-21 SEC) wrapped up game two in eight innings at Taylor Stadium, defeating the Missouri Tigers (22-29, 8-18 SEC) 12-2 on Saturday, May 11. 

Still looking to claim its first SEC series, Auburn has the golden opportunity to steal the series from Missouri after securing game two in a dominant fashion. 

After an electric series opener, the Tigers’ offense carried that electricity to Saturday evening. In 39 at-bats, Auburn collected 12 runs, 17 hits – four home runs – and 12 RBIs. 

“I thought we’ve played great offense these first two games of the series,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “It looks like some guys are getting their bats through the zone a little bit better. They did a really good job.”

Second baseman Caden Green had a strong performance at the plate, going 4-for-5 and securing a home run and four RBIs to lead Auburn’s offense. Green solidified the Tigers’ victory with a two-run homer in the seventh and a single in the eighth that sent Cooper Weiss and Cooper McMurray home to score. 

“The home run at-bat, they were flipping me more offspeed pitches,” Green said. “My approach didn’t change. They were still trying to come inside, but the guy hung it out, and I just got the barrel out.”

Following the veteran’s lead, designated hitter Ike Irish matched Green’s home run and contributed three RBIs. Catcher Carter Wright, center fielder Chris Stanfield, shortstop Weiss and right fielder Cade Belyeu made significant contributions, collectively adding two home runs and five RBIs. 

“Once the hits start rolling, everything starts to look like a beach ball for everybody, and who doesn’t want that?” Green said.  

Thompson’s bullpen put on a show on the bump, racking up 13 strikeouts and four walks alongside six allowed hits and two earned runs. 

RHP Chase Allsup was reinstated as a starter and showcased his dominance on the mound to earn his third win of the season. 

“Just the preparation in the bullpen felt right, and going out there and landing (my offspeed pitches) in the first inning had a really big part in what was going on today,” Allsup said.

Pitching five innings, Allsup logged nine strikeouts – matching his season high – with just one walk and allowed four hits and one run. 

“That was good,” Thompson said. “Nine strikeouts and only one walk and did a nice job. He did get to that 90 pitches or so, but he’s been on a journey and plugged it back up in an SEC start, and a quality one at that.”

LHP Carson Myers relieved Allsup in the sixth to pitch three innings. Myers added four strikeouts with three walks and allowed two hits and one run, earning his first save of the season. 

Auburn and Missouri return to Simmons Field for the series finale, both determined to claim the series. Game three will be broadcast on the SEC Network+ and locally on Wings 94.3 FM on Sunday, May 12, at 1 p.m. CST. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Reporter

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn run rules Missouri to set up rubber match” on social media.