Tigers fail to complete sweep of Lipscomb

Auburn failed to complete the sweep of Lipscomb on Sunday afternoon. The Tigers would fall at Plainsman Park by a final score of 8-7 in 10 innings. The loss brings Auburn to 7-3 on the season, and Lipscomb to 7-4 on the season.

"I just think they were the toughest team,” Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said. “That’s what I just told the ball club. Ten walks and five of them score, you’re just not going to beat the game, much less Lipscomb or any other quality ball club that we have to play. That was one of those deals where I thought we were timid. We start talking about attacking, and we just didn’t attack down the stretch. We didn’t shove the ball in the strike zone. That’s what we built the program for and we didn’t do that today.”

Auburn used 8 pitchers during the game, and Daniel Sprinkle would record the loss for the Tigers.

Auburn would finish the game with 10 hits, but 11 players were left on base throughout the contest. Dylan Ingram would go 2-3 with a homerun, 3 RBI’s, and 2 walks. Jonah Todd would record a RBI, but this would be his first hitless game this season. Daniel Robert and Luke Jarvis would also record RBI’s for Auburn.

Auburn started slow as Lipscomb scored 2 in the first inning and 3 in the second to take an early 5-0 lead. Luke Jarvis would record a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second though to get the Tigers on the board.

“The bottom line, in a college baseball game to walk 10 and allow five of them to score, you’re just not going to win,” Auburn coach Butch Thompson said. “The game of baseball is not going to keep on rewarding you over and over for that, and we didn’t get away with it today for sure.”

Auburn would go on to have a big fourth inning. Todd would record a sacrifice fly to centerfield to start the scoring in the fourth for Auburn. Daniel Robert would then drive in 2 runs with a hit down the left field line. With the score 5-4, Ingram came up to bat. He would hit his first career home run, and it would be a moonshot over the left field monster wall. Auburn would lead 7-4 after a 6 run bottom of the fourth inning.

Lipscomb would tie the game in the top of the ninth at 7-7, however. After an uneventful bottom of the 9th, Sprinkle would walk four batters in the top of the tenth. He would walked in the winning run in the top of 10th inning.

Auburn returns to action Tuesday at 3 p.m. CST as they take on South Alabama at Plainsman Park. 

Share and discuss “Tigers fail to complete sweep of Lipscomb ” on social media.