Auburn ranked in preseason top 10

Coming off the winningest season in program history, the Auburn soccer team opens the 2017 season ranked No. 10, according to the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll.

Formerly known as the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA), the United Soccer Coaches rank the top teams throughout the nation in a weekly poll.

The Tigers, who finished 2016 at No. 8, capped the deepest postseason run ever achieved on The Plains by reaching the NCAA Quarterfinals.

Auburn has reached the NCAA Tournament 14 times since 2000 and has produced back-to-back trips to the Sweet 16. 

The Tigers are set to take on five teams currently in the preseason top 25. Auburn’s first test against ranked opposition comes on the road when it travels to No. 13 Clemson in the third match of the regular season. 

Continuing their road swing, the Tigers tangle with No. 6 North Carolina (Sep. 1) and No. 12 Duke (Sep. 3) in a non-conference tournament in Durham, N.C.

Auburn’s toughest tests during the SEC slate take place at the Auburn Soccer Complex. The Tigers battle No. 17 Arkansas (Oct. 5) and No. 7 Florida (Oct. 13) on The Plains. 

Auburn is one of four teams in the SEC to be ranked by the annual poll, joining the aforementioned duo of Arkansas and Florida, as well as No. 4 South Carolina.

Auburn defeated Georgia 3-2 Thursday night in an exhibition match in Athens, Georgia. Katie Hickman, Ellie Leek and Alyssa Malonson each netted a goal for the Tigers. 

The Tigers kick off the regular season Sep. 18 against South Alabama at 6:30 p.m. at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

Share and discuss “Auburn ranked in preseason top 10” on social media.