Auburn Students for Life club raises awareness for pro-life week

A hundred and twenty seven crosses dotted Cater Lawn Wednesday, symbolizing a number of fetuses aborted each hour.

Pro-life week is this week and the Auburn Students for Life Group is raising awareness. 

Betty Lopez, president of Auburn Students for Life, said they have events occurring all throughout the week to call attention to important issues. 

Each cross in front of Cater Lawn Wednesday represented 20 fetuses aborted every hour. 

“Those crosses basically represent all of the victims of abortion that occur in this country every hour and every day,” Lopez said. "We are trying to provide a voice to all those who remain voiceless and don’t have a voice and who can’t speak up for themselves, and those include the unborn.”

The roses placed in front of each cross were representative of the lives affected by abortion, Lopez said. 

On Tuesday, students passed out wristbands that called for a vow of silence for unborn children. 

“This is a way to honor their lives and to also raise awareness about the pro-life movement as a whole,” Lopez said.

In addition to supporting the unborn, Lopez said that the group tries to represent those who are on death row, euthanized or are in unhealthy relationships. 

“We typically put up a poster displaying the faces of many people in Alabama who are on death row right now,” Lopez said. “We really just want to raise awareness that looking at their faces reminds us all that they are people and that they are human, and their lives and their integrity is valuable.”

Lopez said the group strives to provide a community to those who are pro-life as well as those in need. 

“Since the crosses on Cater Lawn [symbolize] abortion, I think a big concern with women who experience unplanned pregnancies is that they don’t want to compromise their education or their future lives or their future goals,” Lopez said.

Auburn Students for Life aims to support those girls who have unplanned pregnancies and don’t know what resources are available to them, Lopez said. 

“We want to spread the word that we care about the life and integrity of each and every single student on Auburn’s campus,” Lopez said. 

Share and discuss “Auburn Students for Life club raises awareness for pro-life week” on social media.