'All in All' Breast Cancer Awareness hosted Friday on Green Space

The seventh annual “All in All” breast cancer awareness event brought students in with free pizza, cookies, T-shirts and health screenings. 

Phi Delta Chi Fraternity along with the Office of the Vice President of University Outreach and The Office of Public Service hosted the event in order to raise awareness not only to students but the surrounding community.  

The event included guest speakers Madison Chandler, graduate research assistant from the College of Veterinary Medicine and Flora Moss, a breast cancer survivor. 

Walter Minger, president of Phi Delta Chi fraternity and coordinator of the event, was available to answer questions students had and help run the event. 

“What we do is reach out to the community; we go within Auburn and outside of Auburn to get partners to help, to donate, just to raise breast cancer awareness,” Minger said. 

Some of the partners in attendance were Massey Family Chiropractic, the Harrison School of Pharmacy, Auburn's School of Nursing, the University Health and Wellness Center and Concordia College.

“This is a student-led event,” Minger said. “It just goes to show that no matter what level you are, you can make an impact, you can have a difference,” Minger said. 

Royrickers Cook, vice president of Auburn University outreach, has been with the event since its first run seven years ago. 

“We started seven years ago because we had actual people in and around our office that knew of someone or had experience themselves dealing with cancer, and everyone thought it would be a great idea,” Cook said. 

In order to promote breast cancer awareness, there were health and cancer screenings available as well.

The Gene Machine, a pink bus parked at the event, was available for non-invasive screenings for breast, ovarian and prostate cancer. 

In addition, students, volunteers and researchers were near the bus to discuss the research associated with The Gene Machine. 

“Our hereditary breast cancer genetic research focuses on reaching the underserved populations in Alabama that don’t have access to medical care or screening," said Anna Huskey, a graduate student. "So this is how we travel to everybody, our pink recruitment bus called The Gene Machine.”

With pamphlets, fliers and the brightly colored bus set up next to the food, students had easier access to knowledge and screenings.

“Offering educational programs that generates greater awareness around cancer screening, prevention and survival play a critical role in improving the overall quality of life of Auburn University’s campus and the broader Auburn community,” Cook said. 

Not only was the event intended to screen and raise awareness for breast cancer, but also for other health related diseases. 

Jessica Barefield, an Auburn nursing student, was at the Auburn University Nursing table to answer questions and help with blood pressure screenings. 

Barefield said hypertension, or high blood pressure, can lead to heart attacks. Therefore, by having a screening done, prevention is possible. 

“It might not be something that impacts [students] personally, but we want to kind of instill a presence of caring about those around us,” Minger said. 

Share and discuss “'All in All' Breast Cancer Awareness hosted Friday on Green Space ” on social media.