President Leath names longtime aide Miles Lackey chief of staff

The national search for a new Auburn chief of staff is over as President Steven Leath has selected one of his longtime aides, Miles Lackey, to fill the position starting January 2018.

“Miles will help us greatly as we streamline operations and improve our efficiency,” Leath said. “He is an outstanding strategic thinker and planner, and I am very excited to have him on board as I begin my tenure here at Auburn.”

Lackey comes to Auburn from Iowa State University where he was chief of staff since April 2012 and the university’s chief financial officer since July 2016. Before that, he also worked with Leath at the University of North Carolina system.

As chief of staff, Lackey will work with Leath to manage day-to-day operations in central administration, advise the president on major institutional decisions and will lead or serve on senior-level, institution-wide committees including the President’s Cabinet.

Lackey will also oversee several Auburn administrative units, including the Office of Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity; the Office of Audit, Compliance & Privacy; the Office of Communications and Marketing; the Office of Governmental Affairs and the Office of Public Affairs.

"Miles has been instrumental over the past five years in advancing Iowa State's strategic priorities to provide a high-quality, affordable, accessible education for our students; expand the university's research and economic development enterprises; and secure federal, state and private support while operating as efficiently as possible," said Iowa State University Interim President Benjamin Allen. "We thank him for his tireless efforts and expertise to enhance Iowa State's role as one of the top land-grant institutions in the country."

Lackey holds a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Lenoir-Rhyne University, a Master of Public Administration from George Mason University and a Master of Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Prior to his work at Iowa State, Lackey directed the Office of Federal Affairs at UNC from 2010 to 2012 and served as director of federal relations for the UNC system from 2006 to 2010.

In addition to his background in higher education, Lackey has experience in public policy, having worked on Capitol Hill as an advisor to Sen. Elizabeth Dole from 2003 to 2006. He also has private sector experience as Chairman of the Board and operating partner of Village Inn Pizza Parlors.

Share and discuss “President Leath names longtime aide Miles Lackey chief of staff” on social media.