Auburn police investigate 'concerning social media posts' from students

On Thursday, the Auburn Police Divison said a social media post described as concerning was investigated and was determined that it did not represent a valid threat to Auburn Junior High School.

According to a statement from the APD, a student at the junior high reported the post on Thursday. After an investigation by police and the school administration, it was determined that the post was a several-months-old prank that had recently resurfaced, police said.

On Tuesday, Auburn police were contacted by Auburn City Schools regarding potentially threatening language used by a 12-year-old J.F. Drake Middle School student. 

Police and school officials investigated that incident and determined that there was no threat to the middle school. 

The two incidents and the arrest of an Opelika High School student for making terroristic threats online come just a week after a mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The 19-year-old gunman, who killed 17 in the attack, had made threats online in the months leading up to the shooting.

The APD has urged anyone with information about a threat or other crimes to report it authorities by calling 911, the non-emergency number at 334-501-3100 or the anonymous tip line at 334-246-1391.

Share and discuss “Auburn police investigate 'concerning social media posts' from students” on social media.