Spring practice notebook: Slew of injuries leave Tigers with 1 healthy center

With injuries stacking up across the board for Auburn football, Gus Malzahn’s roster thinned even further at spring practice Thursday.

Earlier in the day, 247Sports’ Brandon Marcello reported that receiver Will Hastings and center Nick Brahams will miss the rest of the spring. Hastings, who tore his ACL in the Tigers’ scrimmage on Saturday, March 24, underwent surgery. Brahams broke his fibula in his left leg at Monday’s practice. Neither were present Thursday.

With Brahams already absent, offensive line coach J.B. Grimes was missing tackle Calvin Ashley at Thursday’s practice due to illness. Senior Tucker Brown was sporting the non-contact jersey, leaving Buford, Georgia product Kaleb Kim as the only healthy Tiger at center.

At wideout, where Auburn has been reeling over the past month in terms of health, true freshman Shedrick Jackson was in an orange non-contact jersey with his lower left leg taped.

Senior Ryan Davis, who returned to full contact on March 20, was one of four Tigers’ returning sophomore punter Aidan Marshall’s kicks. The group was rounded out by freshman defensive back Christian Tutt, freshman running back Asa Martin and junior wide receiver Griffin King.

The team didn’t run the pace drills during the media viewing window, but the offensive line did go through pass protection drills with both Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood manning the first and second-team offenses, respectively. Running backs Kam Martin and Malik Miller rotated in the backfield.

Malzahn will hold a press conference at 6 p.m. tonight to elaborate on the team’s ninth spring practice. 

Share and discuss “Spring practice notebook: Slew of injuries leave Tigers with 1 healthy center” on social media.