Jillian Clair/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Downtown Greek cuisine opens March

Calypso's Sports Bar and Grill on North College Street will open its doors at the end of March.The owner, Sherif Elbagdadi, was raised in Auburn and graduated witha bachelor's degree in business administration in December 2009.Calypso's will feature Greek and American cuisine and will offer a familyfriendly restaurant atmosphere during the day and a nightlife atmosphere after dinner."Of course I'm downtown, so I want it to be geared toward students, but I want it to be family friendly," Elbagdadi said.Elbagdadi said his mission was "restaurant first, food first," but he also wanted to focus on the needs of college students.Calypso's will be open at 11 a.m.

Campus

Nomadic artist shapes life, style with uncommon art

Chia, a red jumpsuit and water are all Jeff Schmuki needs to create art.Schmuki has been a visiting artist and professor at Auburn for the past two semesters and has been traveling the country since Hurricane Katrina.Hurricane Katrina devastated Schmuki's neighborhood in Gulfport, Miss., and since then, he has become a nomadic artist, traveling to different parts of the country and the world."I had a home, and now everything I own is now in a backpack, which is kind of liberating in a way," Schmuki said.After the hurricane, Schmuki said his art changed because of what he had seen and his need for portability in art."I'm not interested in art that is static," Schmuki said.

News

Girl's Guide: Credit cards scam users

With all the hype about credit card debt and the stereotypes created by movies like "Confessions of a Shopaholic," one would wonder why a woman should ever have a credit card.While there are certain risks to having a credit card, it is possible to use it to build good credit.Keven Yost, professor of finance, said having a credit card can be empowering for a female student."If she's out on a date and things aren't going well, she knows she can get a cab ride home, or if her car was broken down, she could get help and not have to worry about having cash on hand to make a payment for that sort of thing," Yost said.Yost said students must be careful when choosing a credit card.When credit card companies offer zero percent financing, free credit transfers and free balance transfers, Yost said to look at the fine print."If it's too good to be true, then it probably is,"Yost said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Dual Album Review: John Mayer 'Battle Studies'

John Mayer, once an innocent-looking pop heart throb, has been on a quest for several years to change that image.Striving to disassociate his style from radio hits such as "Your Body is a Wonderland" and "Bigger Than My Body," Mayer emphasized his passion for guitar in his last album, "Continuum," released in 2006."Battle Studies," Mayer's first completely self-produced album, brings him even further from that original image.Throughout the production of the album, Mayer wrote updates, shared song lyrics and posted videos on a companion blog called, "Battle Studies: A Mid-Action Report."Mayer wrote, "to evolve you have to dismantle, and that means accepting the idea that nothing you've created in the past matters anymore, except that it brought you here.To pick up your new marching orders."This album is unlike anything Mayer has recorded before.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Reel Review: Hocus Pocus

If you grew up watching the Disney Channel, the first movie you probably think of during the Halloween season is the classic, "Hocus Pocus."The Sanderson sisters, three witches who terrorized Salem 300 years earlier, were hanged after they kidnapped a child and brewed a potion that allowed them to suck the life out of her so they can be resurrected in 300 years.They prophesy was a virgin would light the Black Flame Candle on All Hollow's Eve, and then they would have until dawn to brew the potion and find more children to steal the lives of and live forever.Max, the new kid from California, moves to Salem right before Halloween.

More articles »