Auburn graduate inspires 1,300-mile charity 'adventure'

The Fuller Center for Housing is holding its second annual Fuller Center Bicycle Adventure from July 10 through Aug. 16. The bike ride will be from Michigan to Florida and will cover 1,300 miles.

"The Fuller Center was started in 2005 by Millard Fuller, who was an Auburn graduate," said Ryan Iafigliola, director of special programs for the Fuller Center. "We're now about 4 years old, and we have projects in 50 cities in the United States and 14 other countries."

Iafigliola said the bike ride was inspired by 700 mile, 1,000 mile and 1,200 mile marathon walks that Fuller started while beginning Habitat for Humanity.

"We're going to stop at about eight Fuller Center projects along the way, and we're just going to plug into work that each of those communities is doing," Iafigliola said. "Sometimes they are building new homes, sometimes they're doing renovations. We're just going to go out there and help the best we can."

The bikers will be traveling into Auburn on Aug. 7, Iafigliola said.

Chelsea Ferguson, a sophomore in biomedical sciences and pre-med, said last year nine people rode 3,300 miles and helped raise $134,000 for the Fuller Center housing projects. She said this year their fundraising goal is $200,000.

Ferguson is a co-founder of the Auburn Fuller Center Student Builders.

"In November, about 10 Auburn University students came with us to help renovate a house nearby in Valley, Ala.," Ferguson said. "We are in the process of lining up more projects for students to work on."

Meghan Kaple, a sophomore in human development and family studies, said anyone who wants to support the cause can participate in the ride.

There will be people in the ride that work for the Fuller Center, students from other universities, and anyone from the surrounding communities who wants to honor Fuller and raise funds for the efforts, Kaple said.

"There are different types of ride," said Kaple, co-founder of the Auburn Fuller Center Student Builders. "There are the long stretches where the serious riding occurs, but there are also shorter, fun rides where more people join in with the group."

The bike ride serves as both a fundraiser and awareness opportunity for the Fuller Center, Kaple said.

Iafigliola said he came up with the idea for the bicycle adventure after meeting Fuller in college.

"I came down to volunteer with the Fuller Center," Iafigliola said. "During that year was when I planned last year's bike ride. Millard was such a go-getter -- he said, 'OK. I'll do it.'"

Iafigliola participated in the ride last year and said the bikers are just three Auburn riders short from having their trip be complete this summer.

Ferguson said it is now more important than ever to raise awareness and funds for the Fuller Center for Housing because of Fuller's unexpected death Feb. 3.

"I am helping raise awareness for the bike ride because the Fuller Center is important to me," Ferguson said. "We need to make sure his mission is continued."

Kaple said there will be a Millard Fuller legacy build in his hometown of Lanett Aug. 30 through Sept. 5.

"The houses there will be built in memory of Millard and in honor of Millard and Linda Fuller's 50th wedding anniversary."

To find out more information or about getting involved with the Fuller Center Bicycle Adventure, visit www.fullercenterbiketrip.com.

Share and discuss “Auburn graduate inspires 1,300-mile charity 'adventure'” on social media.