Graduate schools increase in appeal

With hiring freezes in many job markets, many students are choosing whether to face the job market, graduate school, law school or Ph.D. programs.

"Typically, as you head into recessions and jobs become harder to find, graduate school option looks relatively more attractive," said Dan Gropper, director of the Masters of Business Administration programs.

But Gropper doesn't suggest students attend graduate school or law school to run from the job market.

Many weigh the practicality of both.

"If the choice is between flipping burgers basically or being unemployed and continuing one's education, then I would recommend continuing education," said Henry Kinnucan, advisor for the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology.

Kinnucan said he recommends strong academic students to further their education after undergraduate work.

But Kinnucan recommends students who need to mature to get more real-world experience.

"Graduate school certainly requires, at least in our program, a firm commitment to long hours of studying, and it'd be a mistake for a student to go right into graduate school thinking it's an extension the undergraduate experience," Kinnucan said.

Gropper said Auburn has seen an increase in qualified applicants with higher GMAT.

Mary Mendonca, advisor for the Department of Biological Sciences, has seen a slight increase in students applying for a master's non-thesis degree.

"It could be either there was an increase in applicants not getting in (to professional schools), or they don't know what to do, and they're taking more classes," Mendonca said.

Most biology majors look for work in research capacities, but many are furthering their education with higher degrees.

"They'll have more book knowledge, but they won't have the hand-on knowledge the industry is looking for," Mendonca said. "But what are you going to do if you can' find a job, you might as well learn some more."

Due to losing their jobs, some people have no choice but to continue school.

"I have written more letters of recommendation for people to go to Ph.D. programs and law school this spring for alums than I've done in my 10 years of being up here," Gropper said.

Many students worry their financial standing and dependency on student loans hurts their chance of being accepted.

"It may make a difference in their willingness to apply, but we are only concerned with people's credentials," Gropper said.

President Barack Obama's stimulus package has aimed $125 billion toward education.

This will help mainly public schools and universities.

Kinnucan said this affords students the option of graduate school or a higher education.

Share and discuss “Graduate schools increase in appeal” on social media.