Spanish department offers foreign film classes this summer

Movie buffs have the opportunity to see films from foreign countries this summer, and get college credit for the experience.

During the first mini-semester, the Spanish foreign language department is offering two new courses: horror foreign films (FLSP 3970: Special Topics in Hispanic Film) and romantic foreign films (FLSP 3970, section 002.)

Both classes will be taught in English by Spanish professor Jorge Munoz.

Munoz, an English major from the University of Seville, has a Master's and Doctorate in contemporary Spanish film and novel from UNC Chapel Hill. He said he wanted to offer summer film courses simply for his love of films.

Films scheduled for viewing in the romantic film class include those from Canada, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, China and Korea. The horror film class will view films from Spain, Norway, France/Romania, Sweden, Germany and the United Kingdom. Each class will discuss the difference between love and horror in American films versus how the themes are represented in different cultures after each film presentation.

"I'm excited about the class because watching movies has always been a hobby of mine and mixing learning with a hobby is a great idea," said Rodrigo Quintanilla, a senior Spanish major.

Deidre Long, a junior majoring in political science and Spanish, said she wants to take the romantic film class because she is interested in seeing how love is portrayed in other countries.

"Spending some of last summer in Cuernavaca, Mexico has exposed me to the Hispanic culture that embraces the concept of 'love' in a way that not only attracted my attention but also in a way that may me envy it as well as the passion that comes with it," Long said. "Now as far as the horror film class, I am taking it because it is something different. I would like to see how Hispanic countries display horror and if it is contrary to the way American films illustrate it."

Classes are open to all students on campus. Liberal Arts and Film Studies students are especially encouraged to enroll.

Please note that for Spanish majors enrolled in both of these classes, only one of them will count toward the major; the other class will count for a general elective.

If interested in enrolling, contact Jorge Munoz at jjm0001@auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “Spanish department offers foreign film classes this summer” on social media.