Students enjoy dancing in Student Center

Students danced across the Foy ballroom during a night of fun, food and friendly competition.

UPC and the Auburn Latino Association of Students hosted "Salsa Magic and Fiesta Latina" in the Foy Ballroom April 16.

"The purpose of throwing the fiesta is we wanted to deepen the understanding of Latino culture and current issues concerning Latinos on campus and in the community," said Vivian Aparicio, president of ALAS. "We hope to have an awareness of the presence and contributions of Latinos on campus."

Salsa music is a diverse and predominantly Caribbean genre that is popular across Latin America and among Latinos abroad.

It was brought to international fame by Puerto Rican musicians.

Salsa originated as a partner dance, but can also be performed solo. Swing steps and other Cuban dances influenced the Salsa.

"I thought the Latino Association threw a great fiesta," said Anna Brooke Harrison, a junior in biomedical sciences. "I came to ballroom dancing, but I liked Salsa better. I thought it was much more entertaining."

Salsa lessons were given while the "Salsa Magic" entertainers performed.

Authentic food was served during the event, free to students and available for a cost to the general public. Items on the menu included plantanos, which are fried plantains drizzled in a honey lime sauce, and polenta topped with garlic tomato sauce.

"I have never Salsa danced before, but I learned the basic steps and it was fun," said Paul Rubinstein, a junior in animal sciences. "I would probably enjoy it as much as swing dancing if I did it before. The food was delicious as well. I tried several of the authentic dishes."

Four couples competed in the Salsa dance contest held at the end of the night. The crowd's applause decided the winning couple.

"I competed in the Salsa dancing contest," said Jesse Bouldin, a junior in physical education. "I have come to swing dancing many times, but I have never done the salsa. I am glad I attended though, because I have wanted to learn it for years."

Share and discuss “Students enjoy dancing in Student Center” on social media.