Auburn Volleyball Begins With 3rd Ranked Recruiting Class

Plainsman Archives
Plainsman Archives

Auburn volleyball anticipates a successful 2009 season with the talent of new recruits, returning players and coaching staff.

The 2009 recruiting class ranks third in the Southeastern Conference and 26th in the nation on PrepVolleyball.com, according to the Auburn athletics Web site.

"With ten incoming players and no returning seniors, this season is going to be more about increasing SEC wins for 2009," said Wade Benson, head coach of two years. "There's no question that we have upgraded the talent level this year."

Sara Shanks, a junior in exercise science and third-year player, aims to fulfill the goals set by the team for the upcoming season.

"I would really like to push forward in the conference," Shanks said. "I'm ready to show people how much our practice and hard work has paid off."

With practices lasting four hours a day, five days a week, balancing school and other responsibilities proves challenging.

"Time management is something you learn as you get older," Shanks said. "Essentially, with assigned tutors to help with schoolwork, we (players) spend plenty of time and develop relationships with them."

Time management comes more easily for Jonelle Wallace, a junior in finance and marketing and second-year player.

"I'm just used to it," Wallace said. "I've learned how to use my planner wisely and to talk to teachers when planning, and I like the challenge."

Wallace hopes to improve her game this year after suffering a leg injury that required surgery last year, she said.

Shanks also aims to progress throughout the season.

"Personally, I always strive to play better than I have before," Shanks said. "I really want to contribute to our team's becoming the best this year."

Self-improvement and outlook contribute to the overall achievement of the team, Benson said.

"I think molding an attitude that exudes excellence and trying to build in 2009 will allow us to excel in 2010," Benson said. "Everything needs to be done at a high level when it comes to school, practice, weight training and team dynamics."

Outside motivation fuels team morale and desire to improve.

"I feel like Auburn's team has a strong family from the athletic department who come to games and support us," Wallace said.

A great coaching staff including Chris Campbell, first assistant; Edgard da Gama e Silva Filho, second assistant; and April Yantis; third assistant, also accounts for a large portion of the team's success, Benson said.

Players can learn from their coaches and each other.

"I like to lead by example," Wallace said. "I like to be able to have young players look at me as a standard of how they should perform on and off the court."

Transferring from Colorado State two years ago, Wallace said Auburn has been different, but in a good way.

"It's a great school to play at," Wallace said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Volleyball Begins With 3rd Ranked Recruiting Class” on social media.